Due to the current COVID-19 situation and to minimise any health risks to students, tutors and staff, literacy classes, conversation circles and 1:1 tutoring sessions are currently being delivered online until further notice. Direct any enquiries to email@example.com. Thank you for your understanding.
Literacy Services helps people develop their literacy, numeracy, speaking and listening skills.
If you are interested in applying for a place in an upcoming training course, refer to the Prospective Literacy Volunteer Handbook and submit your expression of interest. Ensure that any qualifications, experience and recency of practice are included in your expression of interest. For more information, visit the Literacy Services section, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once the course is completed, tutoring can take place at any Sunshine Coast Library, either in a class or 1:1.
Literacy Volunteer duties include:
- tutor individual learners in one-on-one sessions or in a class
- assist with English Conversation Circles
- lesson plans and record keeping
- participate in professional development.
It is important to be tolerant, patient, flexible and skilful at listening. It is ideal if Literacy Volunteers have a sense of humour and good language skills.
To become a Literacy Volunteer you need:
- good literacy and communication skills
- empathy for people with limited literacy ability
- reliability and availability
- integrity and the ability to maintain confidentiality.