Literacy Services helps people develop their literacy, numeracy, speaking and listening skills.
If you are interested in applying to be considered for a place in an upcoming training course, refer to the Prospective Literacy Volunteer Handbook[344KB] and submit your expression of interest. Ensure that you include as much information as possible relating to any relevant qualifications and experience. This includes dates and recency of practice as there is a selection process.
The next course will start on Monday 15 July 2024 at Baringa Community Centre. View the course dates. Applications close Friday 24 May 2024.
Literacy Volunteer duties include:
- tutor individual learners in one-on-one sessions or in a class
- assist with English Conversation Circles
- lesson plans and record keeping
- participate in professional development.
It is important to be tolerant, patient, flexible and skilful at listening. It is ideal if Literacy Volunteers have a sense of humour and good language skills.
To become a Literacy Volunteer you need:
- good literacy and communication skills
- empathy for people with limited literacy ability
- reliability and availability
- integrity and the ability to maintain confidentiality.