Literacy Services helps people develop their literacy, numeracy, speaking and listening skills. Sunshine Coast Libraries offers free training courses for Literacy Volunteers to support delivery of the program.
Applications are now open for the Course in Literacy Volunteering which starts on 22 July 2019 at Kawana. The course includes weekly 3.5 hour sessions held over a ten week period. Applications for the 2019 course close on Monday 27 May 2019.
To become a literacy volunteer, refer to the Prospective Literacy Volunteer Handbook and submit your expression of interest. Ensure that any qualifications, experience and recency of practice are included in your expression of interest. For more information, visit the Literacy Services section, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once the course is completed, tutoring can take place at any Sunshine Coast Library, either in a class or 1:1.
Literacy Volunteer duties include:
- tutor individual learners in one-on-one sessions or in a class
- assist with English Conversation Circles
- lesson plans and record keeping
- participate in professional development.
It is important to be tolerant, patient, flexible and skillful at listening. It is ideal if Literacy Volunteers have a sense of humour and good language skills.
To become a Literacy Volunteer you need:
- good literacy and communication skills
- empathy for people with limited literacy ability
- reliability and availability
- integrity and the ability to maintain confidentiality.