Salad. Gone are the days of limp lettuce and soggy tomato. Salad is now the superstar of summer feasting. Think right outside the salad bowl with ingredients.
Add sliced strawberry or sticky mango. Cacao nibs or shavings adds glamour to your greens. Watermelon and feta are a firm favourite with their sweet and salty tastes. Other hot combos are raisins and chickpeas, loaded cauliflower and walnuts, or this party winner – watch this short Caprese Stuffed Avocado video for the ultimate portable salad. What could be better than that?
Roll out the Tupperware for these Top 10 salads:
- Caesar – cos lettuce, croutons, parmesan cheese, lemon juice, olive oil, egg, Worcestershire sauce, anchovies and black pepper
- Chef – hard-boiled eggs, ham or other strips of meat, croutons, tomatoes, cucumbers, crumbled cheese and tossed lettuce.
- Cobb – watercress or cos lettuce, tomatoes, bacon, chicken, hard-boiled eggs, avocado, cheese, chives and vinaigrette
- Coleslaw – shredded cabbage and carrot
- Garden – iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, onions, cucumbers and capsicums
- Greek – wedges of tomato, cucumber, capsicum, cubed feta cheese, kalamata olives, served with decent lashings of olive oil
- Nicoise – tomatoes, Nicoise olives, fava beans, raw artichokes, hard-boiled eggs, green capsicum, tinned anchovies and olive oil
- Potato – cubed boiled potatoes, mayonnaise or sour cream dressing
- Tabbouleh – parsley, mint, tomato, scallion, lemon juice, olive oil and tabbouleh
- Waldorf – chopped apple, celery, walnuts, grapes and mayonnaise.
Library members have loaned salad themed items 27,494 times! Save calories and coins this summer with fresh ideas to this classic side dish.
On the move? Get fresh salad inspiration anytime, anywhere with eBooks:
- 101 Soup, Salad and Sandwich Recipes by Gooseberry Patch
- Biggest Loser 100 soups and salads by Hardie Grant Books
- The Quick Six Fix: 100 no-fuss, full-flavour recipes – 6 ingredients, 6 minutes prep, 6 minutes clean up by Stuart O’Keeffe
- Eating Purely: more than 100 all-natural, organic, gluten-free recipes for a healthy life by Elizabeth Stein
To get started, download the ePlatform, RBdigital and Libby apps, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Discover great online recipes with eMagazines:
- Your Best Recipes
- Healthy Food Guide
- Eat Well
To get started using free eMagazines download the RBdigital app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
On the lounge? Stay there all comfy reading online recipes with eMovies:
- Salad Greens and Lettuces: discover how to store, wash, dry and revive salad greens.
- Salads from the Cold Kitchen: build salads with nuts, cheese, herbs, make salad dressing, how to make an Asian salad roll and more.
- Grilled Vegetable Starters and Salads: make different salads, from pancetta-wrapped endive to Bartlett pears and greens.
Set up a Kanopy account to stream more films and documentaries for free. First-time customers – select Add Library Card and enter your member number and password.
On the web
Looking for more summer loving salad style ideas?
- 100 Most Popular Salads in the World | Taste Atlas
- Top 50 Salads | Taste.com.au
- 62 Summer Salads You’ll Be Making for Every Single BBQ | Delish
Love the program? Complete the online survey.