Do you have a great idea for a start-up but do not know where to begin?
The new must-have career accessory is the side hustle. More than two million adult Australians have already taken on side hustle projects. At least two thirds of us have a passion, project or business idea we hope to explore.
A side hustle is any type of employment that a person takes in addition to their primary job. It differs from part-time work where your employer still calls most of the shots. A side hustle gives you the freedom to decide how much you want to work and earn.
The benefits can include adding to your savings, developing your skills and expertise and it is a great way to ‘test the waters’. A side hustle allows you to find your passion and follow through with it, without having to leave your current job or invest all your savings.
Did you know that Steve Jobs worked on the development of Apple computers from his home garage while working at Atari?
10 popular side hustles
- Online freelancing
- Digital marketing campaigns
- Renting out your car or spare room
- Driving with ridesharing apps, such as Uber, DiDi, Ola
- Selling products online with Etsy, eBay or Amazon
- Virtual assistant
- Cover letter and resume services
- Become a local tour guide
Libraries love these eBooks:
- Don't keep your day job: How to turn your passion into your career by Cathy Heller
- What if it does work out? How a side hustle can change your life by Susie Moore
- The 4-hour work week by Timothy Ferriss
- How to build an online business by Bernadette Schwerdt
- The 7 habits of highly effective people by Stephen Covey
To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and passwords. Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this video tutorial.
Browse these business eMagazines:
- Business Today
- Entrepreneur magazine
- Market Watch
- Start Your Own Successful Business
- Money Magazine
To get started using free eMagazines download the RBDigital app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Listen on the go with these eAudiobooks:
- Balance and Other B.S. by Felicity Harley
- The Barefoot Executive: The Ultimate Guide to Being Your Own Boss and Achieving Financial Freedom by Carrie Wilkerson
- Your Dream Life Starts Here by Kristina Karlsson
- The Soul of an Entrepreneur: Work and Life Beyond the Startup Myth by David Sax
To get started, download the BorrowBox, Libby and uLibrary apps, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Get inspired with these podcasts:
Try these online business courses with Lynda.com:
- Start a Side Hustle
- Marketing your Side Hustle
- Become a Small Business Owner
- Growth Hacking Tips
- 20 Questions to Help You Start a Business
Lynda.com is an online learning platform for students, general community and business to learn or upskill in software, creative and business skills. First time customers must create a Lynda.com profile and select Sunshine Coast Regional Council. Repeat customers, sign in with your Lynda.com username and password.
On the web
Develop your ideas with these helpful websites:
- Five women tell their story of pursuing their passion and embracing their side hustle in this Forbes article on How to Start a Side Hustle: The new must-have career accessory.
- Read the Queensland Government guide to starting a business.
- Westpac offers six tips to start up your side hustle.
- Check out Business Insider Australia side hustle articles.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.