"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." – Walt Disney
Have you ever had someone tell you that you are too old for Disney? Stop them right there. The magic of Disney is not just for kids. Disney is an icon – an international symbol that everyone dreams about – and it all started with the famous Walt Disney himself.
Walt started off his career as a cartoonist for the local newspapers. Eventually, Walt joined his brother, Roy, and together they created Walt Disney Studios. Walt was an innovative animator and created the cartoon character Mickey Mouse, his first highly popular success. As the studio grew, Disney became more adventurous, introducing synchronized sound, full colour and feature-length cartoons. Disney films became classics and contributed to the legend that was growing around its creator. Walt had long dreamed of creating an amusement park based on his characters and soon after, they expanded into a theme park in which the characters could come to life – Disneyland!
Unfortunately, Walt Disney passed away before he could see the plans for the next theme park in action down in Florida. Upon its construction, however, Roy decided to name the park 'Walt Disney World' so his brother’s name could live on.
Disney holds the record for most Academy Awards earned by an individual, having won 22 Oscars from 59 nominations. There is a special place in each of our hearts for the old Disney movie we first saw when we were around five years old — the first time we experienced true Disney magic.
From the silly songs, hilarious sidekicks, and princesses finding their happily ever afters, you can’t not feel good after watching a Disney movie.
Disney movies are for everyone to watch. They are often a passage into a world where you can act like a kid again and not feel ashamed about it. So next time someone tells you to grow up, kindly remind them that you are much happier than they are because you have the magic of Disney in your heart.
Top 10 things to borrow from libraries:
- The Disney book: a celebration of the world of Disney
- Disney Classic collection By Walt Disney Productions
- The Twisted Tale series By Various Authors
- A home for a princess: a peek inside 9 Disney princess castles By Disney Storybook Artists
- The art of Disney: Moana By Jessica Julius
- Disney villains: delightfully evil : the creation - the inspiration - the fascination By Jen Darcy
- Poster art of the Disney parks By Danny Handke
- Disney movie posters: from Steamboat Willie to Inside Out By Kevin Luperchio
- Bonus: Borrow Disney DVDs
- Aladdin: Far From Agrabah by Aisha Saeed
- Frozen 2 by Kamilla Benko
- Maleficent: Mistress of Evil by Elizabeth Rudnick
- Tales of Rapunzel by Kathy McCullough
- Stepsister by Jennifer Donnelly
Get your Disney fix
- Visit the creative force behind Walt Disney Imagineering with a virtual tour or try out the free online series of interactive lessons in theme park design and engineering with Imagineering in a box.
- Learn to draw a Disney castle or even Mickey Mouse.
- Visit the Disney parks blog and discover all the #Disneymagicmoments.
- Take ultimate Disney Quizzes.
- Listen to Disney Music on Freegal.
- Learn all about Animation great Walt Disney on Kanopy.
- Get your dose of Disney men or Disney princesses.
- Bring the house down with Disney Sing-alongs.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.