“I'm beginning to realize that things don't turn out the way you want them to. And sometimes, when they don't they can turn out just a little bit better.” ― Looking for Alibrandi
Internationally bestselling and award-winning Australian writer Melina Marchetta is best known as the author of the highly acclaimed novels Looking for Alibrandi, Saving Francesca and On the Jellicoe Road. Her eleven books range from beloved young adult fiction and fantasy through to contemporary and crime fiction, and books for younger readers.
Melina's much-loved Australian classic, Looking for Alibrandi, swept the pool of literary awards when it was published, and was also released as a film, adapted by Marchetta, winning an AFI Award and an Independent Film Award for best screenplay, as well as the New South Wales Premier’s Literary Award and the Film Critics Circle of Australia Award. She has twice been awarded the CBCA Children's Book of the Year Award: Older Readers, in 1993 and 2004. Jellicoe Road won her the 2009 Michael L. Printz Award from the American Library Association, recognising the year's best book for young adults.
Fun Facts about Melina
- Melina is a middle child, with two sisters.
- She left school at age fifteen.
- She has also written for the award winning TV series, Dance Academy.
- When Melina was growing up she wanted to be a bus conductor, because of the satchel they wore and the ticket folder with the hole puncher at the top.
- The popular novel Looking for Alibrandi has been dubbed "the most stolen library book".
- She loves fan fiction.
- Melina once shared a bedroom with her grandmother.
- She regrets getting her hair permed when she was a teenager.
- Melina is a former secondary English teacher.
- She makes frequent visits to schools to talk about her books.
- Melina says the best thing about being a writer is getting paid for actually telling big lies.
- Reserve Melina Marchetta’s titles and collect from your local library.
- Read the books on your device.
Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this online tutorial.
- Listen to the stories on your device.
Need help setting up your device for eAudiobooks? Watch this online tutorial.
- Visit Melina Marchetta’s official site for writing tips from the award winning author.
- Go behind the scenes and see Melina Marchetta’s writing room.
- Celebrating 20 years since the release of the film Looking for Alibrandi, Melina chats about both her book and the film. Watch the interview on the Better Reading Facebook page or check out Melina’s official Facebook page for upcoming events and more author interviews.
- Who could forget these 10 iconic moments from Looking for Alibrandi.
- Melina features on the Better Reading podcast talking about reading the way she writes – across many genres.
- Discover more of Australia’s Young Adult Fiction by visiting #LoveOzYA
Love the program? Complete the online survey.