"Sometimes you can do everything right and things will still go wrong. The key is to never stop doing right." - Angie Thomas, The Hate U Give
Angie Thomas was born, raised, and still lives in Jackson, Mississippi. A former teen rapper, she holds a BFA in creative writing from Belhaven University and an unofficial degree in Hip Hop. She is an inaugural winner of the Walter Dean Myers Grant 2015, awarded by We Need Diverse Books.
Her award-winning, acclaimed debut novel, The Hate U Give, is a #1 New York Times bestseller and major motion picture. Angie Thomas loves Jordan sneakers, The Fresh Prince of Bel Air and Harry Potter, declaring herself a Ravenclaw, according to all of the quizzes she’s taken. Her second novel, On the Come Up, is insightful, unflinching and full of heart. An ode to hip hop from one of the most influential literary voices of a generation.
- At an early age she witnessed drug dealing and gun crime first-hand and found refuge in books.
- She was the first black teenager to graduate in creative writing.
- Angie was a secretary to a bishop at a megachurch.
- She found her literary agent on Twitter.
- Angie is obsessed with hip-hop and made a name for herself as a teen rapper.
- Lauryn Hill is one of her favourite rappers.
- As a teenager, she also dabbled in writing soap-opera fan fiction for the TV show passions.
- There’s already an author named Angela Thomas, so she decided to use her nickname Angie as her pen name to set the two apart.
- Angie’s first book The Hate U Give had her in a 13 publishing house auction.
- Her second book On The Come Up is set in the same neighbourhood as The Hate U Give.
- Angie was consulted a lot by both the director, and the screenwriters of The Hate U Give movie, but she did not write the screenplay or have control over the cast or movie itself.
- Reserve Angie's’ titles and collect from your local library.
- Read the books on your device. Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this video tutorial.
- Borrow The Hate U Give on DVD.
On the web
- Visit Angie's official website.
- Check out a few of Angie’s favourite songs in the T.H.U.G. writing playlist.
- Follow Angie on Instagram.
- Watch the trailer for The Hate U Give.
- What’s next for Angie? Perhaps a third book?
Love the program? Complete the online survey.