Whether you are a member of the grey nomad tribe, love the camaraderie of a group guided tour or are a fiercely independent hotels only type, one of the great benefits of being a senior is the free time to be a super traveller.
Explore your local travel options before branching out to the South East Queensland corner or go big and go further to explore the Queensland outback, Central Queensland or Tropical North Queensland.
Of course, when the world opens up again you can be dig out the passports and take on the world as a super traveller. Do not let age hold you back. Start planning now:
- Sign up for a seniors card +go a single, convenient card with a Seniors Card on one side and TransLink senior go card on the other side. Now you can plan your local day out, see timetables and much more with Translink.
- Download the Sunshine Coast Public Transport Guide to assist with local travel.
- Investigate Council Link for an affordable transport service for people aged 60 and over. Council Link drivers collect eligible people from their homes and take them to the local shopping centre. At just $2.00 per person per one-way trip you can get out and about locally with ease. Hinterland locals can look into the great Sunshine Coast Hinterland Bus Services available.
- Book a local river cruise to take in a gorgeous sunset or hook the van up for a short stay at a Sunshine Coast Holiday Parks.
South East Queensland
- Take a short hop and escape to the Gold Coast for a mini-break. Visit Destination GoldCoast for ideas.
- Go inland and visit the Granite Belt for wineries and cosy B’n’B stays. Visit Granite Belt Wine Country to find your perfect place.
- Go on a western country road trip for wide open space, history or peace and quiet. Check out some destinations at Southern Queensland Country.
- Fancy and island stay? How about Bribie, Moreton, Stradbroke or Coochiemudlo. Find some island inspiration.
- Point your compass north and head off to Hervey Bay for some time out.
- Take yourself away to where the rainforest meets the reef and drop in on Tropical North Queensland.
- Get to know the Capricorn region of Queensland – maybe take a visit to Pumpkin Island
- Have an Outback Queensland adventure and make your way to Charleville, Longreach, Birdsville or Mount Isa with so much of interest in between.
Reserve these physical items and collect from your local library:
- Camping guide to Queensland by Craig Lewis
- Off your rocker: for mature travellers on a budget by Noni Gove
- Backpacking to freedom: solo at sixty by Diane Margaret Counihan
- The grey nomad’s ultimate guide to Australia: experience the beauty and freedom of our great landscape
- Travelling with pets on Australia’s east coast: discover thousands of place to take your pet by Carla Francis
- Australian in style: unique Australian travel experiences
- The great Australian bucket list: one of a kind travel experiences by Robin Esrock
- The Indian Pacific: Australia’s longest train journey – DVD
- Explore Australia by caravan & motorhome by Brendan Batty
- 100 things to see in Tropical North Queensland by Catherine Lawson
- Ultimate Road Trips. Australia by Lee Atkinson
Libraries love these travel eBooks:
- Marcia Langton: welcome to country : a travel guide to Indigenous Australia by Marcia Langton
- 4WD Australia: the best short getaways by Linda Lee Rathbun
- A walk in the woods: the world’s funniest travel writer takes a hike by Bill Bryson
- Travelling solo: and celebrating life’s new opportunities by Jo Cundy
- Great escapes: experience the world at your leisure by Lonely Planet
- Caravan survival guide by John Basham
Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers, RBDigital and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password. Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this video tutorial.
Libraries love these travel eMagazines:
- Gourmet Traveller
- Lonely Planet Traveller
- Caravan World
- Australian Geographic Outdoor Magazine
- National Geographic Traveler
- Cruise International
- Caravan and Motorhome On Tour
Access 3500 of your favourite magazines. Download the RBDigital app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Take some time to explore the National Geographic Virtual Library to discover the amazing places, history, animals and culture from across the world. Sign in with your library member number for free access.
Whet your appetite and listen to these super travel podcasts:
- Traveller Podcast: the essential resource for Australians who love to travel
- Amateur Traveler: all about destinations – database of over 600 episodes
- The thoughtful travel podcast: interviews with travel addicts about their experiences
Travel without leaving home on Beamafilm:
- Walking the Camino
- The Indian Pacific
- Charlie and Boots
Beamafilm offers documentaries and movies with a focus on Australian stories and quality international content. First time customers, enter your library member number and create an account.
Have you got a case of itchy feet? Need to get out of the house, away from home and immerse yourself in all the natural beauty and splendour Australia has to offer? Pack for a Queensland trip or plan an interstate trip for when all our borders reopen!
Love the program? Complete the online survey.