"Far from a passive, time-passing activity, book time is a platform for chatter, play, expression, silliness, stillness, learning, wonder, and good fun." – Philip Bunting.
Philip Bunting is an author and illustrator based in the Noosa Hinterland. Growing up in the English Lake District and moving to Australia in his early 20’s, Philip developed a deep fondness for the Australian wildlife and landscape. He wed his fabulous wife, Laura (who co-writes a bunch of their books) and they have three children. He is a firm believer in reading to your child from a young age and the benefits it has on their development.
Philip was inspired to start writing and illustrating picture books from the unique creatures he could spot residing in his back yard. The idea was to create something engaging that encourages a sense of wonder and love of reading. When kids read and share stories, it helps nurture many skills that they will carry into their adult lives.
Before he became an author, he was a graphic designer (hence, his amazing illustrations) and had various roles including creative director and associate publisher for global media group, Time Out.
Philip’s books have been translated into multiple languages and published in over 25 countries around the world. Since his first book was published in 2017, Philip has received many praises, including Honours from the Children’s Book Council of Australia. He was also nominated for the Kate Greenaway Medal in 2018.
- Philip was obsessed with dinosaur books as a kid.
- He was first interested in Mopokes because they are so grumpy-looking.
- In another life, he would like to be a park ranger.
- Sandcastle is the book he is most proud of.
- Carson Ellis is his favourite picture book illustrator.
- His working day starts at 4am.
- Chocolate or Vanilla: Chocolate.
- Summer or Winter: Summer.
- Day or Night: Day! "I'm very diurnal."
- Dogs or Cats: Cats, by a whisker.
Written and illustrated by Philip Bunting:
- Wild about dads
- Not cute
- Who am I?
- How did I get here?
- The wonderful wisdom of ants
- Your planet needs you
- Koalas eat gum leaves by Laura and Philip Bunting
- Kookaburras love to laugh by Laura and Philip Bunting
- Liarbird by Laura and Philip Bunting
- Another book about bears by Laura and Philip Bunting
- Errol! By Zanni Louise and Philip Bunting
- Mum for sale by Zanni Louise and Philip Bunting
- Bad Crab by Amelia McInerney and Philip Bunting
- Excuse Me! By Dave Hughes and Holly Ife
On the web
- Visit the official Philip Bunting website
- Nine fun activities to do at home, featuring your favourite Philip Bunting books
- Learn about your favourite Australian animals with books from the library
- Can you spot a southern boobook or kookaburra in your back yard? Download the Aussie Bird Count App and take part in the annual backyard bird count!
- Love ice-cream like a certain little koala? Make your own at home with this simple science experiment and recipe combo!
Love the program? Complete the online survey.