"When I write, I wander and think in a very nice place. It makes me happy, which is a good state to be in when you’re thinking up ways to make kids laugh." ― Aaron Blabey
Aaron Blabey is a popular Australian children’s book author known for writing funny, silly books with bright pictures that all kids love. His books celebrate diversity, friendship, inclusion and positive behaviour.
He is the creator of the Pig the Pug and Bad Guys series and has won many awards including an INDIE Book Award for Children's Book of the Year, a Children's Book Council of Australia - Book of the Year Award and many more.
He has been an actor, a painter, a grape-picker, a designer, an advertising copywriter, a video-shop assistant, a comic-strip creator, a college lecturer, a screenwriter and a picture-bookmaker. While not enjoying all of it, he does not regret any of it. He lives in the Blue Mountains with his wife and their two boys, where he creates books and listens to his beloved vinyl record collection.
Fun facts about Aaron
- Aaron’s favourite book growing up was Tintin and the Secret of the Unicorn.
- He is a lover of hot chips smothered in mayonnaise.
- Aaron Blabey had a 13-year career as an actor in numerous Australian TV shows.
- His favourite colour is red.
- Aaron wrote his first book – on the back of a boarding pass, and refined that night on a length of toilet paper.
- He has a rule of never working on any less than five books at once.
- He wanted to become an author and illustrator because stories and pictures are the only things that totally make sense to him.
- There are over 20 Million of his books in print worldwide.
- Aaron will executive produce Thelma the Unicorn as a Netflix animated movie-musical adaptation.
- He has a sign on his desk that just reads 'don't be boring'.
- Reserve Aaron’s titles and collect from your local library.
- Read the Bad Guys books on your device. Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this video tutorial.
On the web
- Visit Aaron's official Facebook page.
- Meet Aaron in this short video.
- Listen to Aaron reading Thelma the Unicorn and Pig the Pug.
- Visit the Pig the Pug website for fun activities, quiz and book trailers.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.