"What you do, the way you think, makes you beautiful." ― Scott Westerfeld, Uglies.
Known as one of the most inventive sci-fi writers for teens, Scott Westerfeld is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Uglies series, set in a future where cosmetic surgery is compulsory at age sixteen, making everyone beautiful. This series helped lay the groundwork for the dystopian trend in Young Adult fiction.
Scott’s other famous works are the Leviathan trilogy, a steampunk retelling of World War I, featuring adventure, walking machines, and living airships; the Zeroes trilogy, written with Margo Lanagan and Deborah Biancotti, about six teens with strange powers in a small city in California; and the Midnighters trilogy, about five teenagers for whom time freezes every night. His standalone works include four novels set in contemporary New York: So Yesterday, Peeps, The Last Days, and Afterworlds. So Yesterday won the Victorian Premier's Literary Award.
Most recently and due the popularity of the series, Scott has further developed the Uglies storyline and announced the release of four new titles set in the Uglies future. Scott was born in Texas, but now splits his time between New York City and Sydney, Australia.
- His name can be found on three Powerpuff Girl choose your own adventure books.
- In his artsy days, he wrote music for artsy downtown New York dancers.
- Scott married fellow writer Justine Larbalestier in 2001.
- His favourite book as a kid was Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White.
- Scott is a vegetarian and never wears jeans.
- He has also been an occasional ghost writer, which he says is like driving someone else’s car really, really fast for lots of money.
- Scott and his wife are bisummeral, moving between the hemispheres to avoid the deadly scourge of winter.
- He has studied Japanese, Spanish, and Latin.
- Outside the writing world, he’s held such jobs as a factory worker (making lead soldiers), substitute teacher, textbook editor, and software designer.
- He has written Twenty two books: five adult novels and seventeen young adult novels.
- Reserve Scott's titles and collect from your local library.
- Read the books on your device. Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this video tutorial.
- Listen to the stories on your device. Need help setting up your device for eAudiobooks? Watch this video tutorial.
On the web
- Check out this great Love OzYA Q&A with Scott Westerfeld.
- Get writing advice from the famous author himself.
- Read up on the Uglies discussion questions to impress your friends.
- Watch Scott Westerfeld interviews, book trailers and more with these videos.
- Visit Scott’s official website.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.