"Hope in the shadow of fear is the world's most powerful motivator." Neal Shusterman, Scythe
Neal Shusterman is the New York Times bestselling author of more than thirty award-winning books for children, teens, and adults, including the Unwind dystology, the Skinjacker trilogy, Downsiders, and Challenger Deep and more recently the Arc of Scythe series. He also writes screenplays for motion pictures and television shows. Neal is the father of four, all of whom are talented writers and artists themselves.
His work has been a staple of YA literature for decades, with his first novel for young readers publishing in 1988. His career, while already long and successful, will be burning even brighter over the next few years as numerous books see their way to film and television adaptation. Game Changer will be Shusterman’s 2021 release, scheduled for February. Neal currently lives in Florida.
- Neal grew up in Brooklyn, New York but spent his last two years of High School in Mexico City.
- At eight years old he sent a letter to E. B. White, informing him that he believed Charlotte's Web needed a sequel.
- Neal writes with a fountain pen and whenever he starts a new book, he buys a new fountain pen and a brand new notebook.
- Neal's first two books did not sell, but he scored a publishing contract for his third book in 1988 - The Shadow Club.
- He won the National Book Award for Young People's Literature for his book Challenger Deep.
- Neal names all his characters after Facebook fans. Creating a database of names where he will take somebody’s first name and pair it with somebody else’s last name.
- He does not like to sit in a room and write, but rather be out in the world and go to places he hasn’t been before that are new and interesting.
- Unwind is being developed as a television series, while Challenger Deep, Scythe and Dry are all in development for films.
- Neal has written several episodes of the popular Goosebumps and Animorphs series.
- He has also created three successful "How to Host a Mystery" games and seven "How to Host a Murder" games.
- Reserve Neal's titles and collect from your local library.
- Read the books on your device. Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this video tutorial.
- Listen to the stories on your device. Need help setting up your device for eAudiobooks? Watch this video tutorial.
On the web
- Neal Shusterman’s official website.
- Check out book trailers, writing tips and regular book readings by Neal himself on YouTube.
- Visit the Fandom pages of Neal’s popular books, the Arc of Scythe series and the Unwind dystology.
- You could always give Neal a follow on Facebook and see if your name ends up in his next novel.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.