It is the summer holidays! You probably need to find presents for your mates and think of some fun things to do to celebrate the end of the school year.
How does your family have fun during the holidays? Australia celebrates Christmas a little differently to other countries around the world. In some places, Christmas time means snow on the ground and a roast dinner with potatoes, gravy and gingerbread houses.
In Australia you are probably going to have a big barbeque, make a water slide, or go to the beach with your family or friends. No matter how your family celebrates the holidays, you can definitely have fun with cool craft and cooking this summer.
Need some gift ideas for family or friends these holidays? Why not try making some treats to share. Make sure to check with your parent or guardian before giving food to others.
- A super good Rocky Road White Christmas recipe.
- Serve this Coconut Ice in green and red cellophane tied with a ribbon.
- Have a go at making this Chocolate Crackle Rocky Road.
- Make this classic Australian White Christmas.
If you already have your gifts sorted, what about your wrapping paper and gift tags?
- Make your own creative handmade gift tags.
- Make some DIY gift bags.
- Maybe some glittery gift tags.
- Make these confetti favour bags perfect for a small gift
Make a salt painting
Did you know that salt absorbs water? You can use it to make awesome paintings. Salt painting is when you draw a shape with glue, sprinkle heaps of salt on to the glue and then use watercolour paints to make different designs. Watch the watercolour spread through the salt in cool patterns. Maybe you could try a Christmas tree, a snowflake or a candy cane for your salt painting.
Create a stained glass sun catcher
Make your own sun catcher with tissue paper and glue. First you need to get some supplies together, like tissue paper in different colours, card paper and some safety scissors. Watch this tutorial and make one in whatever shape or size you want, like this stained glass kite.
Make your own tree decorations
Do you want to make some Christmas tree decorations this year? How about a little paper cactus? Make a paper cactus and attach a string through the top, add on some pom poms on a string to look like fairy lights and you have got a little cactus to hang. Or you could try to make an origami 3D paper cactus.
Make a paper chain advent calendar
Do it yourself advent calendars can be as simple as sticking and gluing paper chains together which you can rip off each day as the race towards Christmas begins. Make as many chains as there are days to count down to whichever holiday or day you are celebrating. Try writing little messages, numbers or drawings on each link in your paper chain.
Top 5 cooking books
- 4 Ingredients Celebrations by Kim McCosker
- Nadiya’s bake me a festive story by Nadiya Hussain
- Australia bakes by Australian Women’s Weekly
- Junior chef masterclass
- Nadiya’s bake me a celebration story by Nadiya Hussain
Top 5 craft books
- Christmas cooking and craft for kids by Cherise Pagano
- Holiday crafts by Gini Holland
- Holiday crafts: 50 projects for year-round family fun by Linda Reece
- Supercraft Christmas by Sophie Pester
- Homemade Christmas: creating your own gifts, cards, decorations and recipes
- Mail a letter to Santa. Get some fancy paper and sparkly pens to write a letter to Santa. His mailing address is hard to forget: Santa, North Pole. If you want to get a response from Saint Nicholas, see instructions from Australia Post on how to get your very own letter back.
- Watch this episode of Little Lunch - The Nightmare Before Graduation on Kanopy and get excited for summer holidays.
- Read The Night Before Christmas in Crochet as an eBook
- Listen to Christmas in Camelot or Can Doctor Proctor Save Christmas eAudiobook while you make your White Christmas slice.
- Watch The day Henry met...a Christmas Tree on Kanopy.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.
Note: This program includes YouTube links. While the library wants you to have fun watching these videos, do not forget to hit stop at the end of it. YouTube will automatically play other videos that may not be about this subject and not suitable for you.