“Weird... something happens when you smile at people. They smile back” – Raina Telgemeier, Smile.
Raina Telgemeier is the author and illustrator of the graphic novels Smile, Drama, Sisters, Ghosts, and Guts - all #1 New York Times bestsellers. She also adapted and illustrated four graphic novel versions of Ann M. Martin’s Baby-Sitters Club series, and has contributed short stories to many anthologies. Raina has received tonnes of awards, honours, and nominations for her work. Her graphic novel ‘Smile,’ won the 2010 Boston Globe-Horn Book Award as well as the 2010 Kirkus Reviews Best Book title. It also earned the title of the 2011 ALA Notable Children's Book and even won the 2011 Eisner Award for the Best Publication for Teens. Her fiction novel Drama was selected for the title of the 2013 Stonewall Book Award. Her second autobiographical novel Sisters became New York Times Editor's Choice for the year 2014. Raina lives and works in San Francisco, California.
- Raina started making her own comic strips around the age of nine.
- Her books Smile, Sisters and Guts are all memoirs about her life.
- Raina does not believe in ghosts.
- She has two cats, Kiku and Albie.
- When Raina was in sixth grade she fell and knocked out her two front teeth. Her comic Smile was born out of a need to get the whole experience down on paper.
- She was one of only two women in her college cartooning class of 25.
- Raina’s favourite colour is yellow.
- Her favourite book is Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien.
- Raina’s favourite movie is Pee-wee's Big Adventure.
- Raina suffers from Emetophobia, an extreme fear of vomiting.
- Reserve Raina’s titles and collect from your local library.
- Read the books on your device. Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this video tutorial.
On the web
- Visit Raina’s official website.
- Visit her Scholastic Publishing page
- Cannot get enough of the Baby Sitters Club? Check out the book series and all things BSC Fandom.
- Raina gets interviewed about her book Sisters.
- Check out all the book trailers and more.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.