"The reason why I try to be a good person is because I think it's the right thing to do. If I commit fewer bad acts there will be fewer bad acts, maybe other people will join in committing fewer bad acts, and in time there will be fewer and fewer of them." – Daniel Handler as Lemony Snicket
Lemony Snicket is the pen name of author, Daniel Handler. He has written many books under the name, including the popular A Series of Unfortunate Events series. Lemony Snicket is also the narrator and character in the series, where he investigates and retells the story of the three orphaned Baudelaire children.
Daniel Handler believes kids deserve to be taken seriously and writes his books with that in mind. If you have read A Series of Unfortunate Events, you will find that the Baudelaire children rarely experience a 'happy ending'. The television show based on the books actually begins with the line "If you are interested in stories with happy endings, that story is streaming elsewhere." The books highlight that sometimes things do not work out the way you want or hope for. But that is okay, because it shows that you can pick yourself up and keep going, like the Baudelaire children.
Clearly his 'dark humour' writing style is working, as he has sold over 70 million books worldwide!
Daniel originally came up with the name 'Lemony Snicket' to avoid putting his real name on mailing lists. It eventually became a bit of an in-joke with his friends and they even used the name when they ordered pizza! Once he started writing, he decided to use the Snicket name to add an air of mystery. And so, Lemony Snicket was born.
- Daniel plays the accordion.
- Before he was an author, he was a movie critic.
- He helped form LitPAC, or Literature Political Action Committee - an organization blending politics and literature.
- A Series of Unfortunate Events has been turned into a movie (2004) and television show (2017-2019).
- The Lemony Snicket character has been played by actors Jude Law and Patrick Warburton.
- He is married with one child.
- He read Roald Dahl as child.
- Lives in San Francisco.
- His father was a Jewish refugee who fled Nazi Germany.
- Reserve Lemony Snicket's titles and collect from your local library.
- Read the books on your device. Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this video tutorial.
- Listen to the stories on your device. Need help setting up your device for eAudiobooks? Watch this video tutorial.
On the web
- Visit the Lemony Snicket Website
- Lemony Snicket Wiki
- Dire diversions – Find activities to fill your hours with sorrow.
- Take the quiz Can you name the Series of Unfortunate Events books by Lemony Snicket?
- A Series of Unfortunate Activities
Love the program? Complete the online survey.