"Failure is just a few seconds away from success." ― John Flanagan, The Battle for Skandia
John Flanagan is an Australian fantasy author best known for his children's books. He is famous for writing an epic fantasy series, Ranger’s Apprentice, which is about a boy named Will who is taken as an apprentice Ranger to the grim and mysterious Halt. Together they set out on mysterious, mind-boggling adventures of a lifetime.
The 12-book Ranger’s Apprentice series, as well as its two prequels and spinoff series, have sold more than 15 million copies worldwide. John’s books are available in more than one hundred countries, are regularly on the New York Times bestseller list, and have had multiple award shortlistings and wins in Australia and overseas. John lives with his wife in a Sydney beachside suburb.
- John’s ancestry is Irish and his nickname is Flano.
- He worked for two decades as a successful copywriter for an advertising agency.
- John co-wrote the television sitcom Hey Dad..!. The show ran two-hundred successful episodes between 1987 and 1994 on Australian television.
- The Ranger’s Apprentice series originally comprised twenty short stories, which John wrote to encourage his then twelve-year-old son, Michael, to enjoy reading.
- Librarians and booksellers are John’s favourite people as they are the ones who influence what kids are going to read.
- John’s favourite word is Sizzling. It makes him think of sausages and he likes sausages.
- A film based on the Ranger’s Apprentice series has received funding and is expected to begin production in late 2020.
- John likes to write Monday to Friday, 10am to 1pm and tries to finish a chapter each day.
- Archery and Sailing feature heavily in John’s stories as they are two of his hobbies.
- John’s editor keeps a "Bible of Facts" containing everything from characters’ relationships to their eye colours for him to consult and to help with story ideas.
- Reserve John’s titles and collect from your local library.
- Read the books on your device. Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this video tutorial.
- Listen to the stories on your device. Need help setting up your device for eAudiobooks? Watch this video tutorial.
On the web
- Enter The world of John Flanagan and learn all about his bestselling book series.
- Watch John Flanagan talk about his characters or answer these tricky questions.
- Take a closer look at John Flanagan’s world of Ranger’s Apprentice, Brotherband Chronicles, or Ranger’s Apprentice: The Royal Ranger.
- Find out what school to join in Araluen by taking the choosing day ultimate quiz.
- Visit John Flanagan’s Fandom page and learn even more about the characters, books and worlds.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.