Australians are known for being world travellers and its part of our lifestyle. With the closure of borders many of us have had to put our international travel plans on hold.
Food is a large part of travel and a great way to learn about a city and its culture. Many dedicated ‘foodie’ tours have popped up in recent years with intrepid travellers keen to sample the local produce or attend cooking classes to learn how to cook authentically.
There are many books and TV shows dedicated to travelling and food and over the years we have enjoyed watching Anthony Bourdain, Jamie Oliver and our very own Poh Ling Yeow and Adam Liaw as they travel to exotic international destinations whilst sampling the local cuisine.
How can we travel the world through food when we cannot travel? Our plans may be on hold, but Libraries have plenty of great titles to inspire our imagination and tastebuds.
Travel through food with these eBooks:
- World Travel: An irreverent guide by Anthony Bourdain
- The Wisdom of Tea: Life lessons from the Japanese tea ceremony by Noriko Morishita
- Vietnamese: Simple Vietnamese food to cook at home by Uyen Luu
- Nothing Fancy: Recipes and recollections of soul-satisfying food by Diana Kennedy
- Street Food Asia by Luke Nguyen
- Rick Stein: From Venice to Istanbul by Rick Stein.
To get started download the cloudLibrary and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and passwords.
Tantalise your tastebuds with these foodie eMagazines:
Get started using free eMagazines online or download the Libby app. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Try out these eAudiobooks:
- Hungry by Jeff Gordinier
- My Last Supper by Jay Rayner
- Arise, Sir Jamie Oliver: The biography by Stafford HIldred
- The Little Book of Hygge: The Danish way to live well by Meik Wiking.
To get started, download the BorrowBox and Libby apps, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Relax on the lounge and enjoy a travel documentary DVD:
- The Trip to Greece – Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon’s gastronomic expedition to Greece.
- Off the Menu – An heir to a Mexican fast-food franchise goes ‘cuisine’ hunting in New Mexico for the next culinary big thing.
- Ants on a Shrimp: Noma in Tokyo – A journey of discovery into the people and places, tastes and flavours of Japan, one of the world’s most amazing food cultures.
- Destination Flavour. Singapore – Adam Liaw goes on a journey of food discovery across the Asian food mecca of Singapore.
Listen on the go to these podcasts:
- Extra Virgin – Food and Travel for the Epicurious
- Out to Lunch with Jay Rayner (Spotify podcasts)
- Heston’s Journey to the Centre of Food (Apple Podcasts).
Search for these free podcast titles from your preferred podcast provider.
On the web
For more inspiration head to these websites:
- How to taste the world when you can’t travel | SBS Food
- Gourmet Traveller
- Extra Virgin | Food and Travel for the Epicurious.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.