It is Autumn and the weather is cooler. It is a great time to think about your next fitness challenge. Perhaps you regularly pound roadways and pathways. Or you might sweat it out in the gym. Have you ever considered the great outdoors as your training ground?
Trail running has boomed in recent years. On the Sunshine Coast it has become huge! There is the:
- Blackall 100 on 16 October 2021
- Glasshouse 100 from 11-12 September 2021 (if you are looking for a real challenge)
These ultra-running events with the 100km distance sit alongside shorter distances for mere mortals.
There are so many benefits to trail running. It provides better strength training than road running and challenges coordination, agility and balance. Repetition injuries can occur less as the uneven terrain challenges the muscles to move in different ways. You can benefit socially too by joining a trail running group and experience loads of beautiful places and scenery.
Building on the powerful meditative aspects of road running, trail running also ups the ante with mindfulness as you focus on the terrain throughout the run. Finally, you can cool off with an ocean or lake swim afterwards – especially on the beautiful Sunshine Coast!
Hot tips to start trail running:
- Consider purchasing trail running shoes. They offer better grip, tread, puncture and water protection.
- Gaiters – these slip over your shoes and protect your feet from sticks and rocks.
- Layer up – start early and its cold but later its hot – moisture wicking fabrics are best.
- Hydration packs – light and built for on body carrying for long distances.
- Headlamps – you will need these in dim light.
- Nutrition – keep your glucose up when you tackle the longer trails.
- Hat, sunnies and sunscreen.
Learn more about your kit.
So lace up, get set and go! On the Sunshine Coast, you are spoilt for trail running choices. Train on the following trails:
- Mount Coolum
- Point Cartwright Lighthouse
- Ewen Maddock Dam
- Cotton Tree to Mooloolaba
- Caloundra to Moffat Beach
- Kondalilla Falls
- Sunshine Beach
- Maleny Trail
Libraries love these eMagazines:
Get started using free eMagazines online or download the Libby app. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Run with these doco’s on Beamafilm:
- Running the Sahara – chronicles ultra-marathoners as they run across six African countries, anticipating two marathons per day for eighty days without a day off.
- Free to Run – millions of us run every year, but just 50 years ago, competition was reserved for only for men.
First time customer - select Add Library Card and enter your member number and password. Create a Beamafilm account, then verify your email address.
Repeat customers - login to Beamafilm using your email and Beamafilm password.
Run to these resources
- Explore Runner’s World Magazine articles and videos with your State Library of Queensland membership and the Gale Health and Wellness database
- Go social and find a new tribe. The Trail Running Association of Queensland, Sunshine Coast Trail Runners and Noosa Ultra and Trail Runners are great groups to make contact with when starting your trail running
- Try the SC Trail Run, the Dirt Master (cycling and running) and load of running tracks. You can also join the SEQ Trail Running Series with eight events across Brisbane, Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast
Set up a running soundtrack with Freegal:
- Run to you – Brian Adams
- Born to be Wild – Steppenwolf
- Run like Hell – Pink Floyd
- Running on Empty – Jackson Browne
- Run - Awolnation
Need help setting up your device for Freegal? View this online tutorial.
Listen on the go with these podcasts:
- The Trail Runners Experience with Daniel Farrugia explores conversations about trail running by trail runners. It includes training tips, advice and personal race experiences.
- Pushing the limits with Lisa Tamati discusses diverse coverage of health topics from a runner who has pushed the limits in some of the longest, hardest and toughest events on the planet.
Search for these free podcast titles and more in your preferred podcast provider.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.