Did you know Australia has between 2.5 and 3.5 million active surfers? (source) Whether you remember loading up the Kombi for the day of surfing or watching Mark "Occy" Occhilupo winning the World Surfing Championship in 1999, there is no doubt that surfing is an iconic part of Australian and Sunshine Coast history and culture. Australia has produced some of surfing’s greats including Mark Richards, Mick Fanning, Stephanie Gilmore, Layne Beachley, Joel Parkinson, Sally Fitzgibbons and Coolum’s own Julian Wilson.
Summer has officially arrived on the Sunshine Coast. Make the most of it and enjoy the local surf breaks from Coolum to Caloundra. Get up to speed on all your gnarly surfing slang - you will be stoked! Make sure you follow these basic commandments of surf etiquette... do not 'drop in'.
Check out the daily and 5-day Sunshine Coast surf forecasts and surf cams including Alex Headland, Coolum, Marcoola, Maroochydore, Mooloolaba, Kawana-Buddina, Dicky Beach, Kings Beach and Bulcock Beach (coastalwatch.com).
Check out the daily and 5-day Sunshine Coast surf forecasts and surf cams including Alex Headland, Coolum, Marcoola, Maroochydore, Mooloolaba, Kawana-Buddina, Dicky Beach, Kings Beach and Bulcock Beach (source: coastalwatch.com).
Duck dive into these surfing eBooks:
- Life of Brine by local surf legend Phil Jarratt
- That Summer at Boomerrang: From the waves of Waikiki to the sand dunes of Freshwater, the true story of Duke Kahanamoku in Australia by Phil Jarratt
- Kong: The Life and Times of a Surfing Legend by P. McGuinness
- Capital Surfers: Surfing Australia's East Coast in the sixties by local author Ian Ingram.
Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password. Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this video tutorial.
Barrel into these eMagazines:
- Surfer magazine
- Surfing Life
- Surfing World
- White Horses
To get started reading free eMagazines, download the Libby app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Set up a soundtrack with these surf rock tunes on Freegal:
Surfin’ Safari by The Beach Boys
Wipeout by Surfaris
Bombora by The Atlantics
Pipeline by The Chantays
Apache by The Shadows
Miserlou by Dick Dale and His Del-Tones
Surf Rider by The Lively Ones
Mr Moto by the Belairs
Murphy the Surfie by The Joy Boys
Walk, Don’t Run by The Ventures
Unlimited music streaming and download five tracks per week on Freegal Music. Download from the Sony catalogue and thousands of smaller labels. Sign in with your library card member number and password.
Listen on-the-go with these surf and ocean-inspired podcasts:
- WSL The Lineup: World Surf League's Dave Prodan breaks things down with influential figures from across the surf landscape.
- Occ-Cast: Surfing legend and former World Champion Mark Occhilupo (Occy) sits down with some of the most prolific surfers in the world to discuss all things surf, music, art and life.
- Surf Simply Podcast: News and commentary about surf culture, characters, competition and online surf coaching with Ru Hill and Harry Knight.
- WSL Pure | One Ocean: World Surf League's Reece Pacheco speaks with activists, artists, athletes, and academics, about ocean conservation, sustainability, and how we can all take action to save our seas.
- The KookCast: The Surf Continuum's Coach Chris, Coach Evan and guests talk about how they learned the hard, and often hilarious, way. (Tune in on: Stitcher, Spotify or Apple Podcasts)
Search for these free podcast titles and more in your preferred podcast provider.
On the web
- 'Like' these local Facebook pages Surfing Queensland Inc. and Surfing Sunshine Coast.
- Get nostalgic and search local surfing and beach images with Picture Sunshine Coast.
- Sunshine Coast travel and surf guide | surfline.com
- The best places you can learn to surf on the Sunshine Coast | theurbanlist.com
- Watch and listen to these Sunshine Coast stories:
Love the program? Complete the online survey.