Your grand slammed Summer of Tennis starts soon. Have you done all your prep?
- Tennis app locked and loaded
- Fan or aircon at the ready
- Snacks stocked
- Hydration choices
- And the main event – your courtside seat – check for remote, comfy cushions and footrest.
Grand Slams are also called Majors. They are the major battles of the tennis world, bringing players more ranking, money and attention than any other matches.
The four grand slam tournaments are each played over a two-week period. For many tennis fans, they form part of an annual holiday. Schedules are dropped to enjoy the full majesty of courtside battle.
The first grand slam takes place in the Australian summer with the Australian Open. Other Grand Slams occur later in the year. The French Open starts in late May-early June, Wimbledon in June-July, and the US Open in August-September.
Tennis greats Nadal, Federer, Djokovic, Williams, Barty and Halep are stars in their right and attract a huge following. Who will be your favourite this year?
- Male players have a choice of three professional tennis tours – the ATP, WTA and ITF whilst women have a choice or two – the WTA and ITF.
- There are many different types of court - hard, clay and grass. The Australian Open is played on hard courts.
- A whopping 128 singles players and 64 doubles teams are featured in the Grand Slam tournaments.
- Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal have won the most grand slams (20) but Djokovic has won the most Australian Open titles (8).
- Men play a maximum of five sets and women three.
- The country with the honour of winning the most grand slams is the United States.
- Fun fact – there is a pineapple on top of the Wimbledon trophy which represents an old sailing tradition - returned sailors put pineapples on their gateposts to signal they were home. The reason why this is part of the Wimbledon trophy has long been forgotten!
Tend to the tennis tragic within with some grand slam prereading.
Libraries love these eBooks:
- The Corpse on the Court by Simon Brett
- Court Confidential: Inside the world of Tennis by Neil Harmon
- Grand Slam by Kathryn Ledson
- Grand Slams of Tennis: Legends, Feuds, Tennis dads & one-slam wonders by Eamon Evans
Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password. Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this video tutorial.
Libraries love these eAudiobooks:
- Able: Gold Medals, Grand Slams and Smashing Glass Ceilings by Dylan Alcott
- Double Faith by Lionel Shriver
- Match Pionte by Indigo Bloome
- Tennis Lessons by Susanna Dickey
- Unbreakable by Jelena Dokic
To get started, download the BorrowBox and Libby apps, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Barrel into these eMagazines:
- Tennis Magazine
Tennis terrific movies with Beamafilm:
- The Battle of the Sexes – the 1973 match between Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs in a battle for the right to a level playing field in tennis.
- Venus and Serena – they draw their greatest strength from each other to push the limits of longevity in a demanding sport.
First time customers - select Add Library Card and enter your member number and password. Create a Beamafilm account, then verify your email address.
Set up a soundtrack for your grand slammed couch:
- Chasin’ by Cub Sport
- We’ll be coming back by Calvin Harris
- Last day on Earth by Kate Miller-Heidke
- Forces by Japanese Wallpaper
- Ready by Montaigne
Get unlimited music streaming and download five tracks per week on Freegal. Download from the Sony catalogue and thousands of smaller labels. Sign in with your library card member number and password.
Enjoy tennis chat with these on point podcasts:
- The Tennis Podcast – full of personality and casual banter with daily action from the grand slams and other premier tournaments.
- Beyond the Baseline – official Sports Illustrated Tennis Podcast with influential tennis personalities and sports figures on the WTA and ATP tours.
- The AO Show – go behind-the-scenes at Melbourne Park.
Search for these free podcast titles and more in your preferred podcast provider.
On the web
Check out more top tennis info on the web:
- World Tennis Association – all in the one place, find the tournaments, rankings, players, stats and news.
- Association of Tennis Professionals – features live tennis scores, results, stats and rankings for Men’s Professional Tennis.
- International Tennis Federation – ITF rankings, tournament information and calendar of events.
- 9Now – catch up tennis if you miss the main Australian Open events.
Get started playing with your local tennis club:
- Coolum Tennis Club
- Elite Tennis International (Caloundra)
- Kawana Tennis Club
- Maroochydore Tennis Club
- Mooloolaba Tennis Club
- Palmwoods Tennis Club
- Sunshine Coast Tennis League
- Woombye Tennis Club
Love the program? Complete the online survey.