Everyone has childhood memories of long afternoons kick boarding, doing dives and laps underwater. Endless games of water polo, Marco Polo and avoiding the creepy crawly. Mum would take you and twelve of your mates off to the community pool for day. Off you would trot with packed watermelon, Vegemite sambos and orange cordial.
You would come home on dusk, full of chlorine and stories of who won the dive bomb comp, swam the fastest lap or did the longest handstand. Holidays were made of wet towels, icy drinks and pool toys.
The Sunshine Coast has ten aquatic centres and four community pools for the family to enjoy.
Prefer to swim in the surf? The Sunshine Coast is home to some of Australia's most beautiful beaches, it is almost tradition to spend some part of the summer on one.
Visit Alexandra Headland,Bokarina, Bulcock, Coolum, Currimundi, Dicky Beach, Golden Beach, Kawana, Kings Beach, Marcoola, Maroochydore, Mooloolaba, Mudjimba, Twin Waters, Wurtulla and Yaroomba beaches. Use the map to see where the patrolled and unpatrolled beaches are.
Cool off with a refreshing swim at one of the Coast’s natural waterfalls:
- Kondalilla Falls, Montville
- Mapleton Falls, Mapleton
- Serenity Falls, Buderim
- Booloumba Falls, Conondale
- Wappa Falls, Yandina
Check out these Coast waterparks for big swimming action:
- Blast Aqua Park, Coolum
- Thrill Hill Waterslides, Woombye
- Bli Bli Watersports Complex
- Aussie World
- Ski ‘N Skurf Cable Waterpark, Bli Bli
Library members have loaned swimming themed items 42,480 times! If you are not in the pool, lie next to one with these super swimming reads.
Safety first! Do not be a pool noodle – be sure to check your compliance:
Is your pool summer ready? Supervision, learning to swim and effective pool fencing can save lives. See council's pool safety brochure or head to council's website for more pool and spa regulation information.
Fiction titles to binge by the pool:
- The offing by Benjamin Myers
- The lido by Libby Page
- Breath by Tim Winton
- Puberty blues by Kathy Lette
Dive into eight amazing medal-winning swimmer’s stories:
- Glide: take the panic out of modern living by Lisa Forrest
- Stuff the silver, we’re going for gold! by Laurie Lawrence
- Beneath the surface by Libby Trickett with Simone Ubaldi
- Body lengths by Leisel Jones with Felicity McLean
- Life is worth swimming by Murray Rose
- What I learned along the way by Dawn Fraser
- Ian Thorpe: this is me by Ian Thorpe and Robert Wainwright
- The art of resilience: strategies for an unbreakable mind and body by Ross Edgley
Picture Sunshine Coast
Stay cool with these swim-happy themed eBooks:
- Barracuda by Christos Tsiolkas
- That summer at Boomerang: from the waves of Waikiki to the sand dunes of Freshwater, the true story of Duke Kahanamoku in Australia by Phil Jarratt
Download the ePlatform and Libby apps, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Keep on the move with these swimmingly good eAudiobooks:
- The Swimming Pool by Louise Candlish
- The Shelly Bay ladies swimming circle by Sophie Green
- Bluebottle by Belinda Castles
Download the BorrowBox, Libby and uLibrary apps, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Waterlogged? Stay dry in the hammock with these sun loving eMagazines:
Download the Libby app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.