Recent health surveys show that Australians consume 22kg of free sugars each year! Break that down and it equates to just about 14 teaspoons of sugar every day. Sugar can be hard to avoid as it is in almost 80% of foods. Meeting the World Health Organization recommendation of six teaspoons a day can be a challenge. Australia is ranked 5th highest in the world for sugar consumption.
The impact of an overload of sugar can be devastating to your health. Linked to obesity, diabetes, inflammation, fatty liver and heart disease through to acne, ageing depression, or cancer – one begins to wonder why Australians continue to consume it at all. A large part of the answer is addiction. Sugar is well known to be more addictive than many dangerous drugs.
So if you are interested in reducing your sugar intake or launching into sugar-free living, there is plenty of help available.
Tips and tricks to curb sugar consumption
- 10 signs you’re a sugar addict
- Set yourself a sugar free challenge – take a look at this family’s experience
- Knowledge is power: Healthiest Cereals in Australian supermarkets 
- Check out these recipes from the I Quit Sugar author Sarah Wilson
- Take a side with The Great Debate: sugar v’s artificial sweeteners with I Science Magazine
Access the library resources and learn how to start your sugar-free journey.
Reserve these sugar-free living titles and collect from your local library:
- Clean sweets: simple, high-protein desserts for one : with gluten-free, sugar-free, vegan, paleo, and keto options by Arman Liew
- 31-day food revolution: heal your body, feel great, and transform your world by Ocean Robbins
- Natural baking: healthier recipes for guilt-free treat by Carolin Strothe
- Keto sweet tooth cookbook: 80 low-carb ketogenic dessert recipes for cakes, cookies, pies, fat bombs, shakes, ice cream and more by Aaron Day
- Vegan treats: easy vegan bites & bakes : gluten free, dairy free & refined-sugar free by Emma Hollingsworth
- Sugar free home preserving: jams, conserves, fruit butters and curds by Valerie Pearson
- Sugar free: the complete collection by Womens Weekly
Libraries love these sugar-free living eBooks:
- Gluten-free, sugar-free cooking: over 200 delicious recipes to help you live a healthier, allergy-free life by Susan O’Brien
- Year of no sugar: a memoir by Eve O. Schaub
- Beat sugar addiction now by Jacob Teitelbaum
- The sugar smart cookbook for kids: trim sugar from your child’s diet by Georgia Varozza
- Migraine miracle: a sugar-free, gluten-free ancestral diet to reduce inflammation and relive your headaches for good by Josh Turknett
- The 40 day sugar fast: where physical detox meets spiritual transformation by Wendy Speake and Asheritah Ciuciu
- Sugar crush: how to reduce inflammation, reverse nerve damage and reclaim good health by Richard Jacoby and Rachel Baldelomar
- Beyond sugar shock by Connie Bennett
- Sugar detox for beginners: your guide to starting a 21 day sugar detox by Hayward Press
Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers, RBDigital and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this video tutorial.
Browse for sugar-free living related articles in these eMagazines:
- Diabetic Living Australia
- Australian Natural Health Magazine
- Weight Watchers Magazine Australia
- Prevention Magazine Australia
To get started using free eMagazines download the RBDigital app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Enjoy this sugar documentary from Kanopy:
- That sugar film: That Sugar Film is one man's journey to discover the bitter truth about sugar. Damon Gameau embarks on a unique experiment to document the effects of a high sugar diet on a healthy body, consuming only foods that are commonly perceived as healthy. Through this entertaining and informative journey, Damon highlights some of the issues that plague the sugar industry, and where sugar lurks on supermarket shelves. That Sugar Film will forever change the way you think about healthy food.
First time customer: select "Add Library Card" and enter your member number and password. Create a Kanopy account, then verify your email address.
What about a podcast episode to help spur you on?
- Is sugar a drug? with Michael Collins.
- Sugar is bad from The Free Life.
- Overcoming Sugar Addiction from Optimize Yourself.
- How to go sugar-free without going crazy from Clean Eating Kitchen.
- Sugar addiction, say goodbye to aspartame, balance your blood sugar from The Ultimate Health Podcast.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.