Top 9 fiction soldier stories
It is no secret that the Strike Back hit series delivered explosive military-like action to our TVs. The show spanned eight seasons over 10 years, based on Chris Ryan’s best-selling books.
Likewise, other authors like Lee Child, Andy McNab, Tom Clancy, Vince Flynn and Stephen Hunter have created some of the most enduring military-type characters. Readers love a hardened hero which means that Lee Child’s Jack Reacher and Vince Flynn’s Mitch Rapp have stood the test of time.
Library members have loaned soldier fiction-based titles 28,816 times! Since you love to kit out in the ‘khakis’ for a good read, here is Top 9 Fiction Soldier Stories to enjoy.
Top 9 fiction soldier stories:
- Strike Back by Chris Ryan | Strike Back series. Two soldiers: Britain's most celebrated military hero and a broken veteran join Section 20. The strike back is about to begin.
- The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy | Jack Ryan series. Super-powers race across the ocean on a desperate mission of a lifetime.
- Kill Shot by Vince Flynn | Mitch Rapp series. Kill Shot finds the young Rapp hunting down those who murdered 270 civilians in the Pan Am Lockerbie bombing.
- Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter | Bob Lee Swagger series. Bob Lee’s sniper skills are in demand when he’s hired for a dangerous mission.
- The Killing Floor by Lee Child | Jack Reacher series. A former major in the United States Army Military Police Corps, Reacher roams the United States investigating frequently dangerous situations.
- Area 7 by Matthew Reilly | Scarecrow series. Hostile forces are waiting inside Area 7. Among the President's helicopter crew, however, is Schofield. Call-sign: Scarecrow.
- Semper Fi by W.E.B. Griffin. Brings to life the men of the Marine Corps as they ‘steel’ themselves for battle.
- Tier One Wild by Dalton Fury | Delta Force series. Climb onboard this international Black Ops thrill ride in a story only a former Delta Force commander could tell.
- The Bourne Identity (Audiobook) by Robert Ludlum | Jason Bourne series. A man with remarkable survival skills must discover his true identity and why shadowy groups, a professional assassin and the CIA.
Lock and load with these fiction soldier eBooks:
- Out of Sight by James Patterson
- Once a Pilgrim by James Deegan
- Fortress | Tom Buckingham Thriller 2 by Andy McNab.
Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this video tutorial.
Stream soldier-themed movies and documentaries on Kanopy:
- Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy – John Le Carre’s classic tale of espionage
- The Kill Team – from Academy Award-nominated director Dan Krauss, this documentary investigates soldiers and their psyches
- Girls of the Sun – a Battalion of women in Kurdistan who fight the extremists in their small Kurdish town.
Reserve these high action soldier stories on DVD:
- Strike Back series: a high-octane, globe-spanning thriller with storylines ripped from today's headlines, Strike back focuses on members of a top-secret intelligence agency known as Section 20
- The Bourne Identity: don’t miss Matt Damon immortalise the Jason Bourne character in this 2002 action-thriller film
- Lone Survivor: based on The New York Times bestselling true story of four Navy SEALs on a covert mission and how they fight to the finish
- American Sniper: directed by Clint Eastwood and stars Bradley Cooper. Based on the memoir of Chris Kyle, the deadliest marksman in US military history
- 12 Strong: with Chris Hemsworth: the story of the first Special Forces team deployed to Afghanistan after 9/11, to work with an Afghan warlord and take down the Taliban
- Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan: CIA analyst Jack Ryan (John Krasinski) is pulled from the safety of his desk job and catapulted into a deadly game of cat and mouse throughout Europe.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.