Quick and easy DIY for the yard
Spring has sprung and it is time to go back outside. Shuck off the winter woollies and take a good look at where your garden is at. Does it need a trim? Or some new garden beds? What about a path, birdbath, pizza oven or shade cover? Strap on the tool belt, you are about to DIY your garden.
Landscaping the yard not only adds value to your home but building and creating your own garden touches can bring great satisfaction. And when you do it yourself, there is the added bonus of more cash in your pocket.
Quick and easy landscaping tips:
- Start from the front
- Choose low or high maintenance
- Retaining walls give defined space
- Do not forget a drainage system
- Mix up the soil
- Work your way from the border of the house
- Choose hardscape or softscape features
- Budget, budget, budget
- Upcycle where you can.
With DIY trending around the world and our perfect weather, Sunny Coasters love a good garden effort. Library members have borrowed landscaping titles 8,300 times!
Reserve these top 9 DIY home landscaping titles and collect from your local library:
- Dale Vine’s outdoor reno guide: transform your garden on any budget by Dale Vine
- Big impact landscaping: 28 DIY projects you can do on a budget to beautify and add value to your home by Sara Bendrick
- The complete guide to landscape projects: stonework, plantings, water features, carpentry and fences by Cool Springs Press
- Garden builder: plans and instructions for 35 projects you can make by JoAnn Moser
- The complete Aussie backyard book: more than 60 step-by-step projects by Paul Urquhart, James Cooper and Christine Reid
- The complete guide to stonescaping: dry stacking, mortaring, paving and gardenscaping by David Reed
- Build it yourself: weekend projects for the garden by Frank Perrone
- DIY garden projects: easy activities for edible gardening and backyard fun by Matt Pember
- Complete outdoor builder: from arbors to walkways 150 DIY projects by Cool Springs Press.
Get useful DIY tips and tricks anytime, anywhere:
- The backyard homestead book of building projects: 76 useful things you can build to create customised working spaces and storage facilities, equip the garden, store the harvest, house your animals and make practical outdoor furniture
Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers, RBDigital and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password. Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this video tutorial.
Free landscaping ideas and inspiration flicks with eMagazines:
- Australia’s Best Landscape and Pool Design
- Outdoor Design and Living
- Modern Gardens
- Gardening Australia
- Backyard and Garden Design Ideas.
To get started using free eMagazines, download the RBDigital app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Stream free landscaping sessions on Kanopy:
- Water-wise Landscaping The science of gardening: learn how to reduce water use. Find out how to garden design, plant selection, shading and mulching to conserve water.
- Plan the garden of your dreams - How to grow anything: step-by-step process for creating a garden and mapping the space available.
Reserve these garden landscaping docos on DVD:
On the web
Web links to landscape garden tips and tricks:
- The beginners guide to gardening and landscaping | Redback Landscaping
- 10 do-it-yourself landscaping tips | The Spruce
- 10 affordable landscaping projects you can DIY in a day | Bob Vila
Love the program? Complete the online survey.