Set and forget with slow cooking
With winter now here, you once again look forward to cozying up with those warm, hearty meals – but who has the time or energy? If you have a slow cooker, then you are already in on the secret. If you do not, then it is time to pay attention.
Using a slow cooker is not only convenient, it can be a great way to save on money without skimping on flavour. Taste.com.au has collected some tips and tricks to make your journey to meal time (and beyond) even easier.
Some other hot tips:
- Use cheaper cuts of meat – they are often high in fat or connective tissue which break down during the slow cooking process, helping to keep the meat juicy and tender.
- Put hard vegetables (like potato and carrot) at the bottom of the slow cooker – they will cook faster.
- Do not lift the lid during the cooking process. The heat loss can extend your cooking time by about 20-30 minutes.
Slow cookers have long been thought of for only preparing dinner, but did you know they’re great for preparing baby/toddler food, easy brekkie’s and desserts too? Check out some meal ideas the whole family will enjoy.
First time downloading from our eLibrary? Join online. Just enter your details for membership to access thousands of online resources.
Need help accessing the eLibrary? Contact libraries to get immediate and expert help with accessing and using the eLibrary on your device. eLibrary Helpdesk staff will help connect you to your favourite authors, the music you love, great movies to entertain the whole family and a great range of magazines. The eLibrary Helpdesk operates between 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
Read these slow cooking eBooks:
- Betty Crocker: the big book of one-pot dinners by Betty Crocker
- Slow Cooker Central Kids by Paulene Christie
- Christmas slow cooking: over 250 hassle-free holiday recipes for the electric slow cooker by Dominique DeVito
- Gluten-free slow cooker: 50 essential recipes for today’s busy cook by Adams Media
- The Paleo slow cooker: healthy, gluten-free meals the easy way by Arsy Vartanian
- 300 low-carb slow cooker recipes: healthy dinners that are ready when you are by Dana Carpender
- 50 simple soups for the slow cooker by Lynn Alley
- Art of the slow cooker: 80 exciting new recipes by Andrew Schloss
- Slow and easy: fast-fix recipes for your electric slow cooker by Natalie Haughton
- Slow Cooker Vegetarian
- 101 More Things to do with a Slow Cooker
- Slow Cooking Properly Explained
Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started, download the ePlatform by Wheelers, RBDigital and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Check out some cooking eMagazines:
- Super Food Ideas
- The Australian Women’s Weekly Food
- Vegetarian Today
To get started using free eMagazines download the RBDigital app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Listen on the go with these slow cooking related podcasts:
- The Splendid Table: slow cooker grains and vegetables Slow cooking is not just for large cuts of meat and chilli. Check out what you can do with vegetarian dishes, from breakfast to dessert.
- The Mad Chef: slow cooking and rubbing your meat The lads are back in the kitchen to discuss the benefits of preparing meat for the slow cooker.
- The Kitchen Counter: slow cooker to the rescue Get the low down on how the humble slow cooker saves you from the ‘after work’ meal melt down.
- Recipes that Crock! Welcome to the virtual kitchen where the hosts are crock pot obsessed.
All podcasts are free and available to listen on: Android - Google Play, Procast, Downcast, Pocket Casts, Player FM and AntennaPod. iOS - Apple Podcasts app, RadioPublic, Pocket Casts, Castbox, Podbean and Stitcher.
Libraries love these slow cooking blogs:
- Slow Cooker Gourmet Follow Jennifer as she blogs about real ingredients, slow cooker recipes and meal planning.
- Magical Slow Cooker Sarah storms the kitchen to give slow cooking tips and tricks.
Everything’s better with a soundtrack! Stream playlists for free on Freegal. Unlimited music streaming and download five (5) tracks per week. Download from the Sony catalogue and thousands of smaller labels. Sign in with your member number and password. Just log in with your library card number and password.
Stream this free slow cooking session on Kanopy.
Nutrition starts here: smart eating on a budget. Join Chef Marshall O’Brien as he shares nutritious food choices and eating on a budget.
Set up a Kanopy account to access more films for free. First time customer - select "Add Library Card" and enter your member number and password. Create a Kanopy account, then verify your email address. Repeat customers - login to Kanopy using your email and Kanopy password.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.