Keep calm and carry on
Get settled and join the library for some sleepy time
You have been in lockdown for weeks. It has been a full house and a full plate. Sleep has been an elusive creature. In these strange times, it is easy to forget to relax enough to get that all important kip. A great way to get a handle on the day is to get some quality sleep. Three in ten Australians are not getting enough sleep.
YouGov's data shows that six in ten (58%) Australians take less than 30 minutes to fall asleep, and a third (32%) take less than an hour. The remaining one in ten (10%) take more than an hour to drift off. Women appear to have more trouble falling asleep than men, with 13% taking more than an hour to fall asleep, compared to 7% of men. Only one in seven Australian’s sleep through the night.
Did you know that one in five (20%) of Australians sleep with a ‘comfort object’ (some sort of stuffed toy or security blanket)? Younger Australians (those aged 18 to 24) are likely than older Australians (aged 45 and above) to do so (41% vs. 8%). Those who sleep with a ‘comfort object’ also appear to sleep better than those who don’t. Time to break Teddy out of the cupboard.
Practice these healthy sleep habits
Do a little audit on your bedroom. Is it tidy? Is there too much light? What about the noise factor – do you have fans, phones, laptops, kids, pets and unidentified bipping sounds emerging from your snooze palace? Run through this checklist to start implement a sturdy sleep plan.
- Set a consistent sleep schedule – go to bed at the same time every night
- Create the perfect sleep environment – get the good sheets
- Create regular bedtime rituals – power down
- Dim the lights at dusk
- Keep your bedroom dark and cool
- Leave the tech parked in the living room
- Ditch the caffeine, alcohol and tobacco in the evening #goals
- Offload your ‘to-do list’ onto paper before sleep
- Your bed is not an office! Sleep only
Time to breathe deep and get some zzzz with Jason Stephenson. Jason’s Sleep Talk down guided meditation: fall asleep faster with sleep music and spoken word hypnosis has already clocked up 9,589,897 views on YouTube.
The importance of sleep
10 reasons why good sleep is important
- Poor sleep is linked to weight gain
- Good sleepers tend to eat a fewer calories
- Improves concentration and productivity
- Can maximise exercise efforts
- Decrease risks of heart disease and stroke
- Can improve glucose metabolism and blood sugar
- Can improve mental health
- Can improve immune function
- Can decrease inflammation
- Can improve emotions and social interactions
What is ASMR?
ASMR is big in the online sleep industry and stands for autonomous sensory meridian response. ASMR involves the creation of certain sounds to achieve a pleasant and calming feeling for some people. Some examples of ASMR sounds are whispering voices, crinkling paper, rustling leaves, typing or turning pages in a book. Read more about ASMR.
Sleep stories mix soothing words, music and sound effects to help you wind down at bedtime.
- The Nordland Night Train with Erik Braa Travel up the scenic coast of Norway aboard one of Europe’s most breathtaking and remote railways with Eric Braa. Eric is a San Francisco based voice actor, best known for his work on video games and audiobooks.
- Blue Gold with Stephen Fry Stephen Fry’s distinctive voice narrated all seven Harry Potter books. Enjoy this sleep story masterpiece, written by Phoebe Smith.
- Cottage by the Sea with Michelle’s Sanctuary Deep sleep awaits you in a journey to a cottage on the ocean, located on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Escape stress and relieve anxiety with a mental vacation beginning with a walk and swim in the Atlantic, porch sitting, star watching before falling asleep in a cosy bed to the sounds of crickets and the ocean.
- Sacred New Zealand with Jerome Flynn Be gently lulled to zzzz with the iconic voice of Jerome Flynn, famous for his role as Bronn from Game of Thrones.
Sunshine Coast Libraries members have borrowed sleep related items 126,900 times! While you're on the couch, check out the huge range of titles on eAudiobook and eBooks available through Libraries. Free access 24/7 with your library membership.
Not a member? Join online to access all the eLibrary content.
Libraries love these sleep eBooks.
- Goodnight mind: turn off your noisy thoughts and get a good night’s sleep – Colleen E. Carney
- Eat, move, sleep – Tom Rath
- The exhaustion breakthrough – Holly Phillips
- Snooze: the lost art of sleep – Michael McGirr
Take these simple eBook steps to access more sleep ebooks.
Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers, RBDigital and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and passwords.
Libraries love these sleep eAudiobooks.
- The expert guide to sleeping well – Chris Idzikowski
- Sleep – Lisa Varadi
- The sleep solution – Chris W. Winter
- Sounds for sleep – David Moore
- Relaxations for sleep: guided relaxation sessions – Sue Fuller
- Insomnia – Marina Benjamin
Borrow up to 30 eAudiobooks on your device. To get started, download the: ePlatform RBDigital and Libby apps, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Create a sleep playlist
Download up to five songs per week or unlimited streaming on Freegal.
Listen on the go with these sleep-related podcasts.
- Sleep With Me Bedtime stories to help grown-ups fall asleep in the deep, dark night. Host Drew Ackerman mixes the pain of insomnia with comedy relief.
- Snoozecast: stories for sleep The podcast designed to help you fall asleep. New episodes are released every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Snoozecast is meant to be played as you get into bed.
- Sleep and Relax ASMR A weekly podcast that creates audio experiences designed to help people sleep and relax. The show uses various ASMR triggers including whispers, gentle speaking, relaxing background noise, and general ambience to help people unwind and relax from their busy lives. Listen if you enjoy the sound of soothing waves, snow crunching on a mountain, a soft spoken ramble, or whispered storytelling.
- Get Sleepy Enjoy the ultimate bedtime story podcast with soothing stories, relaxing music, mindfulness techniques and ASMR triggers to help you relax and fall asleep fast.
- Game of Drones The Game of Thrones Podcast to help you sleep is a GoT podcast that's part bedtime story and part high school class you can't stay awake for.
All podcasts are free and available to listen on: Android - Google Play, Procast, Downcast, Pocket Casts, Player FM and AntennaPod. iOS - Apple Podcasts app, RadioPublic, Pocket Casts, Castbox, Podbean and Stitcher. You can also stream podcasts from Spotify.
Stream sleep episodes on Kanopy
- Sleep Disorders This Speaking from Experience programs discusses sleep disorders, sleep apnoea and insomnia case studies. They share the ways that they manage their condition and what treatment options are available.
- Take the Sleep Challenge Explore the mysterious realm of sleep. While your body may shut down, your brain performs important, fascinating work to help you be more focused, creative and production in your waking life. Discover why eight hours of sleep is so crucial.
- Stress, Sleep and Lack of Sleep Most of us don’t get as much sleep as we should. Yet the amount we do get affects how our bodies deal with stress. Investigate why high levels of stress disrupt not only how long we sleep, but the quality of sleep’s restorative powers as well.
Set up a Kanopy account to access more films for free. First time customer: select "Add Library Card" and enter your member number and password. Create a Kanopy account, then verify your email address. Repeat customers: login to Kanopy using your email and Kanopy password.
Take the Sleep Challenge.