Queensland is no stranger to true crime. The release of Brisbane undercover cop Keith Banks' tell-all book and Matthew Condon’s outstanding Ghost Gate Road podcast, the spotlight shines bright on the Sunshine State's dark underbelly.
From the 1890s unsolved Gatton murders to the 1900s Kenniff bushranger brothers arrested south of Mitchell to Betty Shanks found murdered in The Grange. 15 people killed in Whisky Au Go Go arson attack in Brisbane to the McCulkin mother and daughters abducted.
The Fine Cotton Affair in Brisbane shocked the horse racing community. Leanne Holland found murdered. The Fitzgerald Inquiry into high-level police corruption kicked off and ended in multiple arrests and findings. The innocent lives lost of Sian Kingi, Celena Bridge, Sabrina Glassop, Jessica Gaudie and Daniel Morcombe on the Sunshine Coast.
The Childers backpacker hostel fire killed 15 people, and Dr Jayant Patel linked to 87 deaths in Bundaberg Hospital. In the 2010s Brisbane’s Queen Street Mall was held under siege and 8 children killed in Cairns. In 2020 Hannah Clarke and her children were killed by husband in Camp Hill.
Queensland covers an area of 1,727,000 square kms and it is not all sunny days and rolling surf. Dive into the true crime dark days of the Sunshine State. Library members have Queensland crime themed items 2,449 times. Reserve one of these chilling titles – to read, watch or listen to at home – with the lights on.
Crank up these Queensland Crooks eBooks anywhere, anytime:
- Sick to death: a manipulative surgeon and a health system in crisis by Hedley Thomas
- Little fish are sweet by Matthew Condon
- The tall man: death and life on Palm Island by Chloe Hooper
- Before I sleep: my life fighting crime and corruption by Ray Whitrod
- Saltwater by Cathy McLennan
Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password. Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this video tutorial.
Listen on the go with these Sunshine State true crime eAudiobooks:
- Drugs, guns and lies by Keith Banks
- Jacks and jokers by Matthew Condon
- Evil life: the true story of the Calabrian Mafia in Australia
- Three crooked kings by Matthew Condon
- All fall down by Matthew Condon
Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started, download the BorrowBox and Libby apps, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password. Need help setting up your device for eAudiobooks? Watch this video tutorial.
Sleep with the lights on with these Queensland true crime podcasts:
- Ghost Gate Road | Matthew Condon
- Beenham Valley Road | Jamie Pultz
- Searching of Rachel Antonio | David Murray
- Who killed Leanne Holland | Jamie Pultz
- Ep 166: Undercover Copper Keith Banks | Australian True Crime
- Childers: the full story of the Palace Backpackers Hostel Fire | Paul Cochrane
Subscribe to podcasts on Apple, Google Play or wherever you get your podcasts.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.