If you hit the lounge to watch The Queen’s Gambit television series in 2020, you are not alone. Millions around the globe tuned in to watch young chess genius Elizabeth Harmon take on world champions and win.
Beautifully filmed with an engaging storyline, it is a surprise to many this is not based on true story. The Queen’s Gambit was written by accomplished fiction author Walter Tevis and released in 1983. Walter also penned other classics such as The Hustler, The Colour of Money and The Man Who Fell to Earth.
The series offered a chance to dive into the sub-culture of the chess champion world and what it takes to get to the top. So, what is a Queen’s Gambit? A gambit in which a sacrifice of the queen's bishop's pawn is offered.
10 popular chess opening moves from The Chess Website:
Chess is a two-player strategy game, thought to have originated around the 7th century. Take a look at the top chess champions of all time.
Looking to learn chess or groups to play with?
- Sunshine Coast Chess Club Inc.: new members welcome, tournaments, friendly games.
- Chess Club U3A: enjoy the competitive and social aspects of the game with U3A Sunshine Coast.
- Chess Mates Sunshine Coast - teach your child how to play chess.
- Gardner Chess: official Queensland inter-school chess competitions.
Library members have loaned chess themed items 11,794 times! Looking to rook up? Line up your pawns, knights, kings and queens to hit the board with these chess thrillers.
- Karpov: move by move by Sam Collins
- The Rookie: an odyssey through chess (and life) by Stephen Moss
- Spassky: move by move by Franco Zenon
Chess themed fiction titles:
- The queen’s gambit by Walter Tevis
- A partial history of lost causes: a novel by Jennifer Dubois
- The girl he used to know by Tracey Garvis Graves
- The tournament by Matthew Reilly
Save time with these online chess eBooks anywhere, anytime:
- Chess for Dummies by James Eade
- Chess Fundamentals by Forgotten Books
- The Queen of Katwe, a story of life, chess and one extraordinary girl’s dream of becoming a grandmaster by Tim Crothers
To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and passwords. Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this video tutorial.
Your opening move! Stay on the lounge with this beginners eMagazines:
- Chess for beginners – Learn the history of chess and much more. Get to know the pieces, the board and the notation. Become a master of the moves and tactics of chess Find out which chess apps to download on your phone.
To get started using free eMagazines download the RBDigital app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
To set up a Kanopy account to stream more films and documentaries for free. First-time customer - select Add Library Card and enter your member number and password.
End-game – Reserve these dramatic chess DVDs to watch at home:
- Pawn sacrifice: gripping true story of American chess prodigy Bobby Fischer.
- The transporter refuelled: former special-ops mercenary enters a game of chess with a femme-fatale.
- The dark horse: inspiring true story of New Zealand chess champion Genesis Potini.
- The seventh seal: after a decade of battling in the Crusades, a knight encounters Death on a desolate beach and challenges him to a fateful game of chess.
- Queen of Katwe: based on true story of a girl from Uganda whose world rapidly changes when she pursues the dream of becoming an international grandmaster.
Looking for more chess chat? Settle in with these podcasts:
Love the program? Complete the online survey.