With over 11 million people practicing Pilates worldwide this form of exercise must have something going for it right? If you are looking for something to build your core strength, improve your balance and coordination while increasing your flexibility, Pilates could be for you. Invented in Germany during the early 20th century by Joseph Pilates, this method of exercise is now worldwide with specialist studios and classes available almost anywhere.
Pilates focuses on nine different principles:
- postural alignment
Pilates is a great low-impact exercise choice and can be done with or without specialist equipment. You can find beginner classes that utilise a simple gym mat as well as classes that use the Pilates machinery known as a Reformer.
Be sure to have your water bottle handy – you will need it. As Pilates targets your muscles you can feel the burn and know when you have improved as the moves become easier. But start slow as you want this to be ongoing fitness fun, not a fast track trip to the emergency ward! Be sure to not overdo it and build in rest days to your routine.
Need further inspiration? Explore all these great Pilates resources.
Reserve these physical items and collect from your local library:
- Shape up with pilates: the ultimate guide to sculpting, strengthening and streamlining your body by Lynne Robinson
- Pilates for living: get stronger, fitter and healthier for an active later life by Harri Angell
- The Model Method: recipes, HIIT and Pilates exercises for lifelong wellness by Holli Grant
- Pilates for runners by Harri Angell
- Pilates for men: the total solution for strength, flexibility, and power by Elise McNergney
- Rocco Sorace's intermediate pilates and the body transformation program [dvd]
- Michelle Merrifield's power pilates collection [dvd]
- 10 minute solution. Pilates for beginners [dvd]
Jump right in with these Pilates eBooks:
- 20 minutes to master pilates by Lesley Ackland
- Curves, Twists and Bends: A Practical Guide to Pilates for Scoliosis
Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers, RBDigital and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password. Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this video tutorial.
Stream these documentaries with Kanopy:
- Pilates Essentials: Certified Pilates instructor Lindsey Jackson has a unique teaching style and makes Pilates accessible, easy to follow and entertaining whilst bringing all the known benefits of a strong core, abdominal and back strength and a calmness of mind.
- Core Strength and Balance: Maintaining core strength and balance is essential for maintaining our physical independence as we age. This session focuses on a series of yoga and Pilates exercises "performed both in a chair and on the floor" designed to improve your posture and strengthen the muscles in your core and back.
First time customer - select "Add Library Card" and enter your member number and password. Create a Kanopy account, then verify your email address.
Need pilates music? Try these playlists available in Freegal:
- Pilates: Music for the mind, body and spirit
- Pilates and yoga relaxation
- Pilates: Healing power of harmonious music
- Pilates: Chakras dream
Get unlimited music streaming and download five tracks per week with Freegal. Download from the Sony catalogue and thousands of smaller labels. Need help setting up your device for Freegal? Watch this video tutorial.
Browse for inspiration with these eMagazines:
- 10 Minute Pilates
- Shape up at home
- Women's Health and Fitness Magazine
- Women's Health Australia
- Woman & Home Feel Good You
To get started using free eMagazines download the RBDigital app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Libraries love these Pilates podcasts:
Want an easy pilates fix, with no equipment required? Try this 10 Minute Standing Pilates Workout
Love the program? Complete the online survey.