7 cookbooks to get you back on the greens
Thinking about adopting a plant-based food plan? Binge these cookbooks and learn to love (and cook) a plant-based lifestyle.
Get stuck into fresh fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds, whole grains, tubers, legumes and beans. Prep your meals using wholefood ingredients and ditch the heavily processed and refined ingredients. Like your Nanna used to do!
Documentaries like Forks over Knives and Game Changers saw plant-based menus trending the world over. Television series fan favourites like River Cottage Australia advocated paddock to plate concepts while famous chefs threw down multiple zero waste cooking challenges. Did you know that plant-based titles have been loaned 11,712 times?
Check out these titles to get you and the family back on the greens.
Reserve these plant-based cookbooks and collect from your local library:
- Plants Taste Better: delicious plant-based recipes, from root to fruit by Richard Buckley
- The Plant Protein Revolution Cookbook: supercharge your body with more than 85 delicious vegan recipes made with protein-rich plant-based ingredients by Robin Robertson.
- Eat More Plants: over 100 anti-inflammatory, plant-based recipes for vibrant living by Desiree Nielsen.
- Flexible Plant-Based by Australian Women’s Weekly. A plant-based diet using fresh, seasonal and whole ingredients.
- More Plants Less Waste: Plant-Based Recipes + zero waste life hacks with purpose by Max La Manna.
- The China Study Cookbook: with over 175 whole food, plant-based recipes by LeAnne Campbell.
- My New Roots: healthy plant-based and vegetarian recipes for every season by Sarah Britton.
Good reads for plant-based lifestyle:
- The Plant-Based Solution: America’s healthy heart doc’s plan to power your health by Joel K. Kahn, MD
- Plant-Based Sports Nutrition: expert fuelling strategies for training, recovery and performance by D. Enette Larson-Meyer, PhD.
- The Greenprint: Plant-Based Diet, Best Body, Better Planet by Marco Borges
- The China Study: the most comprehensive study of nutrition ever conducted and the startling implications for diet, weight loss and long-term health by T. Colin Campbell
- The Healthspan Solution: how and what to eat to add life to your years: 100 easy, whole-food recipes by Julieanna Hever
- Raw + Free: plant-based living for health + happiness by Sophie Steevens.
Get planted anytime, anywhere with these eBooks:
- Plants Only Kitchen: over 70 delicious, super-simple, powerful & protein-packed recipes for busy people by Gaz Oakley
- The Campbell Plan: the simple way to lose weight and reverse illness, using the China Study’s whole-food, plant-based diet by Thomas Campbell
- Forks Over Knives: the plant-based way to health by Gene Stone
- Oh She Glows Every Day: quick and simply satisfying plant-based recipes by Angela Liddon
Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers, RBDigital and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password. Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this video tutorial.
Flick these fabulous eMagazines for menu inspiration:
- Eat Well
- Vegetarian Times
- Vegetarian Today
- The Vegan Life
To get started using free eMagazines, download the RBDigital app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Plant yourself on the lounge and stream these docos on Kanopy:
- Forks over knives The number one bestselling documentary in the world, Forks Over Knives connects the relationship between mass food consumption and escalating rates of health decline.
- Should we be powered by plants? A documentary on the politics of eating a plant-based diet. Explores GMOs, organic food movement and more.
What about a podcast episode or two to get you started?
- Plant Proof - Simon Hill
- Plant Yourself - Howard Jacobson
- Mainly Plants - Ryan Furman
- The Plant Based Podcast - Michael Perry and Ellen Mary
On the web
The web has got the green goods:
- A beginner’s guide to plant-based diet | Forks over knives
- The right plant-based diet for you | Harvard Health Publishing
- 6 expert tips for switching to a plant-based diet | Everyday Health
Love the program? Complete the online survey.