Paper crafts are the perfect alternative to the usual shop-’til-you-drop experience this festive season.
Beautiful paper decorations or gifts show off your personal style and talent. You can reuse paper materials that would otherwise end in the recycle bin. Learn a new skill this Christmas and create a gift to share.
Some paper crafts are super detailed and some are quick and easy. There are hundreds to choose from – look over these for some clever ideas.
- Card making – try simple rubber stamp cards, quilled cards and pop-up cards.
- Origami – folded paper craft originating from Japan and can super charge your festive season look.
- Kirigami – similar to Origami except you fold, cut and glue the paper. Try a Kirigami art pop-up card.
- Paper table decorations, garlands and wreaths – a great ways to decorate a table or room.
- Scrapbooking – a story for someone you love with images, mementos and embellishments. Look at these get started tips.
- Decoupage – decorating an object by gluing coloured paper cutouts onto it and adding special paint effects. Try this vintage tree decoration.
- Paper boxes – special handmade gift containers which utilise the same folding skills as Origami.
- Paper Junk Journals – different to the scrapbook, this involves collecting up and repurposing old books for a personalised memory gift.
Before you get started, here are some things to mull over.
- Consider using reusable materials such as old cards, wrapping paper, magazines, newspapers, napkins, bags and books.
- Ask yourself who you will give your paper craft to (helps with choosing your style).
- If you are making decorations, think about where you will put your paper craft – size may be a consideration.
- Experiment and have fun! Invite your friends and neighbours over for a crafternoon.
Paper Craft on the go with these eBooks:
- All Things Paper: 20 Unique Projects from Leading Paper Crafters, Artists and Designers
- The Craft-a-Day Book: 30 Projects to Make with Recycled Materials
- Trash-to-Treasure Papermaking: Make Your Own Recycled Paper from Newspapers & Magazines, Can & Bottle Labels, Disgarded Gift Wrap, Old Phone Books, Junk Mail, Comic Books and More
Contact the eLibrary Helpdesk for help downloading eBooks and more.
Libraries love these Paper Craft eMagazines:
- Cardmaking Stamping & Papercraft
- Papercraft Inspirations
- Beginners Papercraft
- Made in Paper
- 273 Papercraft & Card Ideas
To get started using free eMagazines download the RBDigital app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Stream Cool Craft eMovies on Kanopy:
- A Time for Making
- Between the Folds: The Art of Origami
- Handmade Nation
First time Kanopy customer? Select Add Library Card and enter your member number and password. Create a Kanopy account, then verify your email address.
Listen on the go with these podcasts:
Search for these free podcast titles and more in your preferred podcast provider.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.