Where are you wearing your party hat this New Year’s Eve? With many outdoor festivals and events paused until next year, many are popping on their host hat and throwing an at-home NYE celebration.
As the host with the most, it is time to roll up the sleeves and break out the checklists. Where to start?
Choosing a theme helps set the tone for your pre-show party plan.
Whether it is fun or festive, inside and low key, backyard BBQ, formal dinner or snacks and games night, here are some quick and easy things to add to your party plan list:
- Theme could be colour party, letter party, 80’s, beach theme, formal or traditional Australian summer wear – Hawaiian shirt and 'good' going out thongs
- Set an easy menu – snacks or sit down, BBQ, BYO or buffet?
- Music – set up a feel-good playlist most will be happy with
- Games – fun stuff to keep the guests busy and mingling
- Decorations – make your own or string up multiple fairy lights
- Location – inside, outside, front yard or back?
- Noise makers – poppers, blowers, rattlers
- Make a countdown bag – full of goodies like party hats, props, clues for games
- Create a wishing wall for NY resolutions – easy-done with coloured post-it notes
- DIY photo wall background for selfies and group snaps
- Silent Disco – everybody streams the same playlist in headphones, watch the hilarity unfold.
Library members have loaned New Year’s Eve themed items 21,390 times and party planning 6,234 times! Whether you are hosting a shindig, a quiet night in or an all-out party rave, cheers to these little party-planning tips to count in the New Year.
Get the party started with these entertaining #inspo eMagazines:
- Vogue Entertaining and Travel
- Entertaining Dish
- Food & Home Entertaining
- Celebrate with Woman’s World
- Donna Hay.
Has the library got the eMagazine you are looking for? To get started using free eMagazines download the RBdigital app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Stream these classic party films and docos on Kanopy:
- Henry Gamble’s Birthday Party: coming-of-age movie, following events that unfold over the course of one very eventful day.
- The Party: guests arrive to celebrate Janet’s crowning achievement in her political career, when Bill makes an explosive declaration in this sharp, witty British comedy.
- Don’s Party: classic Australian comedy adapted from David Williamson’s play.
- The Farewell Party: compassionate, off-beat comedy about life, death and friendship.
- Winning the Cocktail Party: how to navigate your way through unpredictable, complicated and ambiguous conversations, win the debate and when to bow out.
Has the library got the movie you are looking for? Sign into your library account and search the catalogue to find out. Make sure that you have downloaded the Beamafilm and Kanopy apps on your device to easily view movies.
Kick off New Year’s with these classics for your Freegal party playlist:
- Uptown Funk by Bruno Mars
- Crazy in Love by Beyonce
- Gonna Make You Sweat by C&C Music Factory
- A Little Less Conversation by JXL (and Elvis Presley
- Cotton Eye Joe by Rednex.
Unlimited music streaming and download five tracks per week on Freegal Music. Download from the Sony catalogue and thousands of smaller labels. Sign in with your library card member number and password.
On the web
Looking for more holiday feast ideas online?
- Celebrating New Year’s Eve at home | Domain, Houzz Australia
- 31 creative ideas to celebrate New Year’s Eve at home | One Good Thing
- Budget-friendly New Year’s Eve party ideas | The Spruce
- 15 New Year’s Party ideas to celebrate the new decade | House Beautiful
Love the program? Complete the online survey.