Get your veggie gardening groove on!
Whether you think you have a green thumb or not now is the time to begin practicing some old school vegetable gardening. Keep yourself occupied and feed the family!
Take the steps to start your veggie gardening journey.
- Know your site; does it get enough sunlight? Is there a particular micro-climate? What sort weather elements does your garden experience – frost? Little rain? Full sun?
- Build your compost area – simple designs with recycled materials, balance your dry & green elements, make sure to turn it often.
- Prepare your soil - digging it through removing weeds and rocks as you go and then add compost, manure.
- Choose easy to grow plants - lettuce, greens, cherry tomatoes – replant those kitchen scraps to speed up the process, give everything plenty of room to grow.
- Show your garden the love it needs with weeding, watering, staking taller plants and pest control!
- Grow from scraps. Seeds and seedlings are the new #toiletpapergate. Coastal Landscape Supplies have written a great article to help you grow 23 different kinds of fruits and vegies from scraps.
First time accessing from the eLibrary? Join online. Just enter your details for membership to access thousands of online materials.
Libraries love these gardening eBooks.
- Gardening hacks: Handy hints to make gardening easier by Dan Marshall
- The edible garden cookbook & growing guide by Paul West
- A garden can be anywhere: creating bountiful & beautiful gardens by Lauri Kranz
Take these simple eBook steps to access more gardening books.
Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers, RBDigital and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and passwords.
Libraries love these gardening eMagazines.
- ABC organic gardener
- Earth garden
- Better homes and gardens
To get started using free eMagazines download the RBDigital app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Listen on the go with these inspirational gardening podcasts.
- Gardening Australia hosted by Costa Georgiadis
- All the dirt with Steve Wood and Deryn Thorpe
- The hungry gardener hosted by Fabian Capomolla
All podcasts are free and available to listen on Android - Google Play, Procast, Downcast, Pocket Casts, Player FM and AntennaPod, iOS - Apple Podcasts app, RadioPublic, Pocket Casts, Castbox, Podbean and Stitcher. You can also stream podcasts from Spotify.
Best information on the web
- Planning a vegetable patch that produces all year round in Australia
- How to plant a vegetable garden
- Gardening calendar
Composting documentary on Kanopy
To set up a Kanopy account to access more films for free: First time customer - select "Add Library Card" and enter your member number and password. Create a Kanopy account, then verify your email address. Repeat customers - login to Kanopy using your email and Kanopy password.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.