Confidence can be learned with a little guidance and persistent practice
Do you have bucket loads of self-confidence? Or are the creeping red blush of acute embarrassment, sweaty sticky hands and becoming tongue-tied all experiences you are well acquainted with? Not everyone is an extrovert, capable of witty exchanges and assertive behaviours. For some, lack of self-confidence can be crippling while holding you back from living a more fulfilling life.
Do not despair! Super self confidence can be learned with a little guidance and persistent practice. Self-confidence brings happiness, energy and better overall health. Whether you want to nail that job interview, ask that cute person out or just strike up a conversation with someone you don’t know, let’s get started on the path to a more self-confident you!
- Identify what specific area you want to improve on - body language, verbal assertiveness, self-talk, feelings of self-worth/doubt or competence. Now set yourself mini-goals and record the results with the Three Good Things exercise.
- Pump yourself up by writing down a list of things you have achieved. Keep the list in your wallet and add to it! Pull out the list and read it when you are feeling low.
- Body language, especially posture is key! For tips on improving your body language try this Ted Talk with Amy Cuddy – Your body language may shape who you are.
- Exercise releases endorphins that help you feel ready to act in ways that will expand your self-confidence.
- Use the power of visualisation. See yourself pulling off your desired interaction or behaviour with a calm, centred confidence. Do it in detail; feel your positive posture, that inner sense of control and think about how you will feel after the exchange. See yourself basking in success. Browse for further tips on visualisation from The Wellness Universe.
- Don’t be afraid to seek the help of others. Find people who you admire, that could act as a role model or mentor. They can help you develop the characteristics and behaviour you wish to improve. Even a little role-play with a trusted friend can help you practice a script for that difficult conversation. Check out the five types of mentors you need in your life.
Remember to start small with your efforts so that you will taste success easily. Build on the momentum by trying out bigger or more challenging situations or goals.
Not a member? Join online to access all the eLibrary content.
Access self-confidence on tap with these inspiring Audiobooks.
- Self-esteem: your fundamental power by Caroline Myss
- The power of I Am: two words that will change your life today by Joel Osteen
- What would you do if you knew you could not fail: how to transform fear in to courage by Nina Lesowitz
- Confident public speaking: secrets for painless presentations by Susan Leahy
Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers, RBDigital and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and passwords.
Build yourself up with these brilliant self confidence eBooks.
- Like she owns the place: unlock the secret of lasting confidence by Cara Alwill Leyba
- How to be a Bawse: a guide to conquering life by Lilly Singh
- How to talk to absolutely anyone: confident communication in every situation by Mark Rhodes
- Success under stress: powerful tools for staying calm, confident productive when the pressure’s on by Sharon Melnick
- Interview skills that win the job: simple techniques for answering all the tough questions by Michael Spiropoulos
Borrow up to 30 eAudiobooks on your device. To get started, download the: Libby, RBDigital and Bolinda apps to your device. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and follow the prompts to register using your membership number.
Self-confidence on Beamafilm
Embrace: When body image activist Taryn Brumfitt posted an unconventional before-and-after photograph in 2013, it was seen by more than 100 million worldwide and sparked an international media frenzy. In her forceful debut, Brumfitt continues her crusade exploring the global issue of body loathing.
First time customers, enter your library member number and create a Beamafilm account. Repeat customers, sign in with your email and your Beamafilm password.
Access an inspiring pre-made self confidence playlist and stream or create your own from an enormous range of artist and tracks all from for free from Freegal.
Unlimited music streaming and five (5) tracks per week. Download from the Sony catalogue and thousands of smaller labels. Sign in with your member number and password.
Flick through these eMagazines to find great articles on self confidence.
- O, The Oprah Magazine
- New Philosopher
- Good Health
- Australian Natural Health Magazine
To get started using free eMagazines download the RBDigital app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Self confidence podcasts
Put on your headphones and grow super self confidence podcasts:
- The Good Life Project with Jonathan Fields
- Leveling up: creating everything from nothing with Natalie Jill
- Changeability Podcast: manage your mind – change your life with Kathyrn Bryant and Julian Bryant
Visualisation is a very powerful tool when it comes to be someone filled with super self confidence. Check out this self-confidence video from the team at Wellbeing Rocks.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.