Whether you are a dab hand in the kitchen already or a complete novice, there are many avenues to pursue and an endless stream of niche cooking skills to master!
Let Sunshine Coast Libraries take you into a few of the more special areas of interest with a focus on: raw food, juices and smoothies, fermenting, preserving, freezing and drying. Enjoy a great range of resources so you can become a kitchen genius.
Get creating with these ideas:
- Take a peek at Ball Preserving for great guides on how to get started with preserving jams and pickles.
- Sign up to follow The Raw Food Blog from the The Raw Food Institute of Australia.
- Read these seven tips for successful fermentation at home at ABC’s Life.
- Start simple with these homemade juice recipes.
- Learn just how easy it is to dehydrate food without a fancy fandangle dehydrator.
- What better way to keep some of your herb harvest than to freeze them?
- Knock out a healthy smoothie.
Not a member? Join online to access all the eLibrary content.
Specialist kitchen eBooks
Get inspired with these specialist cooks eBooks.
- The cultured cook: delicious fermented foods with probiotics to knock out inflammation, boost gut health, lose weight and extend your life by Michelle Schoffro Cook
- True brews: how to craft fermented cider, beer, wine, sake, soda, mead, kefir and kombucha at home by Emma Christensen
- Better Homes and Gardens complete canning guide: freezing, preserving, drying
- Can it, bottle it, smoke it: and other kitchen projects by Karen Solomon
- Put ‘em up! Fruit: a preserving guide and cookbook by Sherri Brooks Vinton
- Smoothie-licious: power-packed smoothies and juices the whole family will love
- Liquid raw: over 125 juices, smoothies, soups and other raw beverages by Lisa Montgomery
- Raw magic: super foods for super people by Kate Magic
- Gorilla food: living and eating organic, vegan and raw by Aaron Ash
Take these simple eBook steps to access more exotic cooking ebooks. Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers, RBDigital and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and passwords.
There is always more to learn. Take a look at recipes and instructions for making your own fermented foods with Sunshine Coast local Elizabeth Fekonia.
Specialist kitchen podcasts
Give these podcasts a whirl.
- Living Homegrown: covers canning, preserving and fermenting – with Theresa Loe.
- Juicing podcasts: chill out and listen to some juicing related podcasts featuring recipes, health tips and interviews
- The Rawtarian: the raw food podcast hosted by Laura-Jane.
Specialist kitchen eMagazines
Browse these fantastic eMagazine titles for articles on specialist kitchen cooking.
- The Australian Women’s Weekly Food
- Vegetarian Today
- Healthy Food Guide
To get started using free eMagazines download the RBDigital app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password
Watch and listen as Joe Cross discusses the health benefits of juicing. Joe is the author of Reboot your life and star of the documentary Fat Sick and Nearly Dead.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.