What's stopping you?
Not sure if you are a procrastinator? Take this quiz to evaluate the situation.
Ever heard the saying "You are the only thing that can hold you back?" Well, in this case it is probably true. Get tips on ways to motivate yourself and break bad habits that have proven unproductive.
Whether it be your 9-5 workload, a regular exercise routine, cleaning out the garage or tackling a DIY project, figure out how to get started and stay on track. Learn how to deal with all the half-started jobs and see how much more life you can squeeze out of every day!
Recognise why you are procrastinating and implement anti-procrastination strategies:
- Forgive yourself for past procrastination
- Commit to the task
- Promise an incentive post task
- Rephrase dialog [I choose to... makes you feel more in control]
- Minimise distractions
- Do the least pleasant tasks first.
Learn how to be a Productivity Ninja! Access ProQuest through the Sunshine Coast Libraries website, then sign in to State Library of Queensland.
Need more help? Try a task and time management or productivity app to help keep you in check.
Not a member? Join online to access all the eLibrary content.
Need help accessing the eLibrary? Contact libraries to get immediate and expert help with accessing and using the eLibrary on your device. eLibrary Helpdesk staff will help connect you to your favourite authors, the music you love, great movies to entertain the whole family and a great range of magazines. The eLibrary Helpdesk operates between 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
Read these free beat procrastination eBooks:
- The end of procrastination by Petr Ludwig
- A teen’s guide to getting stuff done: discover your procrastination type, stop putting things off and reach your goals by Jennifer Shannon
- Feeling good: the new mood therapy by David D Burns
Read these free motivation eBooks:
- Joy at work: the life-changing magic of organising your working life by Marie Kondo
- No sweat: how the simple science of motivation can bring you a lifetime of fitness by Michelle Segar
- Primed to perform: how to build the highest performing cultures through the science of total motivation by Neel Doshi
- The 8th habit: from effectiveness to greatness by Stephen R. Covey
Take these simpleteps to access more motivation books.
Borrow up to 30 eBook your device. To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers, RBDigital and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your library member number and password.
Libraries love these motivation eAudiobooks:
- Before happiness: five actionable strategies to create a positive path to success by Shawn Anchor
- Power up your mind by Bill Lucas
- This book could help by Rotimi Akinsete
1000s of free eAudiobooks for adults, teens and children to listen to on your device. Borrow up to 30 eAudiobooks from each provider at a time for a period of three weeks.
To get started, download the BorrowBox, Libby, and RBDigital apps, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your library member number and password.
Listen on the go with these procrastination related podcasts:
- iProcrastinate: series of talks and interviews that explain why we procrastinate and what we can do about it.
- Stop Procrastinating Now: learn how your mind and your emotion intensity affects your ability to get things done.
- The Joy of Procrastination: join Dean and Dan as they talk about their procrastination superpowers.
- The Procrastination Planet: a podcast about writing and not writing bought to you by two authors trying to get their act together.
- Organised and Productive: perspectives on change, time management and getting things done.
All podcasts are free and available to listen on: Android: Google Play, Procast, Downcast, Pocket Casts, AntennaPod and Player FM. iOS: Apple Podcasts app, RadioPublic, Pocket Casts, Castbox, Podbean and Stitcher.
Libraries love these web procrastination motivators:
- Inside the mind of a Master Procrastinator: Tim Urban can’t shake his habit of waiting until the last minute to get things done. Tune in for a trip through this hilarious and insightful TEDTalk.
- How to overcome procrastination: learn to recognise the signs that you are procrastinating and how to overcome it.
- Overcoming procrastination: discover how beat it and get your tasks done on time.
Everything is better with a soundtrack! Get motivated with these thumpers:
- Eye of the Tiger - Survivor
- Eight Mile - Eminem
- Fighter – Christina Aguilera
- The Best of You – Foo Fighters
- Dog Days are Over – Florence and the Machine
- Ain’t No Mountain High Enough – Marvin Gaye
- Chandelier – Sia
- Hall of Fame – The Script (featuring will.i.am)
- Good as Hell – Lizzo
- Can’t Hold Us – Macklemore and Ryan Lewis
Stream playlists for free on Freegal: Unlimited music streaming and download five (5) tracks per week. Download from the Sony catalogue and thousands of smaller labels. Sign in with your member number and password.
Stream these free procrastination/motivation documentaries on Kanopy:
- Finding internal motivation: what keeps elite performers motivated? Understand out competence, relatedness and autonomy can be an activated force for maximal growth.
- In the driver’s seat: motivation: explore the multiple elements of psychological motivation between our minds and appetites.
- Getting and staying motivated: find out the secrets of motivation and the six stages of behavioural change – pre-contemplation, contemplation, preparation, action, maintenance and termination.
- Beat procrastination by doing nothing: discover evidence-based strategies for reducing procrastination. Learn three tips to show you how to be more effective and efficient.
To set up a Kanopy account to access more films for free. First time customer - select "Add Library Card" and enter your member number and password. Create a Kanopy account, then verify your email address. Repeat customers - login to Kanopy using your email and Kanopy password.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.