Permaculture is a sustainable gardening practice that has minimal impact on the environment. It encourages a holistic approach to gardening that provides everything your garden needs to be healthy. Permaculture aims to reduce waste, promote diversity, save energy and live a more sustainable lifestyle.
Communities are more environmentally conscious than ever before. Permaculture gardening allows individuals to create their own food chain that is free of chemicals and waste. It also encourages a shift in lifestyle that benefits the individual, their community and the planet.
Permaculture gardening can be incorporated into your lifestyle wherever you live. Simple changes such as composting kitchen scraps or setting up a home nursery all contribute to creating a sustainable life.
If you are a gardener or hobby farmer looking to restore balance to the environment, permaculture could be the global movement for you. Take a look at the great information and resources available at Sunshine Coast Libraries.
Browse these eMagazines for permaculture articles:
- Pip Permaculture Magazine
- Good Organic Gardening
- Gardening Australia
- Wellbeing Organic Garden
- Food Gardening
- Mother Earth News
- ABC Organic Gardener Magazine
To get started using free eMagazines, download the RBDigital app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Stream these permaculture documentaries on Kanopy:
- Shifting to a sustainable worldview
- Australian Biography series 9: Bill Mollison
- The Chikukwa Project
Set up a Kanopy account to stream more films and documentaries for free. First-time customer - select Add Library Card and enter your member number and password.
Listen on the go with these podcasts:
- Pip Australian Permaculture Magazine Podcast
- The Slow Home Podcast | Slow living for a fast world
- Making Permaculture Stronger
Search for these free podcast titles and more via your preferred podcast provider.
On the web
Develop your skills with these helpful how-to websites:
- Permaculture Research Institute – for great information articles, forums, courses and news.
- Permaculture College Australia – What is permaculture? and other learning opportunities.
- Permaculture Australia – the national permaculture member-based organisation in Australia.
Melliodora – The birthplace of permaculture Learn all about where permaculture began with Costa from Gardening Australia.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.