Celebrate diversity and creativity to the max at the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras, one of the largest festivals in the world.
See colourful, fantastical and quirky costumes and where thousands of dollars spent decorating floats. It is what you might call a frolicking good time.
The theme for Mardi Gras 2021 is Rise! following last year’s What matters. Rise! challenges participants to create floats that celebrate being your true selves, of loving who you love and of discovering your own identities culture and creativity.
If you adore creativity, colour, a good dance and dress-up, you will love the energy of the Mardi Gras. Tune in and prep now for this year’s celebration.
Did you know?
- The Sydney Mardi Gras generates about $30 million for New South Wales.
- Hundreds of thousands of people from Australia and overseas attend.
- The event grew from gay rights parades and is held annually since 1978.
- The Mardi Gras parade include uniformed Australian Defence Force personnel groups, police officers, fire fighters and other LGBTQI emergency services personnel.
- Sydney will host WorldPride 2023 – the first time in the Asia Pacific region.
- The colours of the Mardi Gras are green, purple and gold.
Get scheduling! Frock up with friends with these essential dates and information. The Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras kicks off Friday 19 February through Sunday 7 March. The Sydney Mardi Gras parade is 6 March 2021. This year’s event at the Sydney Cricket Grounds is ticketed. For more information visit the Mardi Gras website. For other pride festivals visit LGBTQI Festivals Across Australia. Stream the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras from a live viewing site or watch with the SBS’s live coverage.
Get frocked and fantastic with these eBooks:
- Meet me at the intersection by Ambelin Kwaymullina
- Colour outside the lines: Stories about love by Sangu Mandanna
- Proud by Various
- The Story of Night by Colm Toibin
- Queer: the Ultimate LGBTQ Guide for Teens by Kathy Belge
- Later: My Life at the Edge of the World by Paul Lisicky
- Leah on the Offbeat by Becky Albertalli
Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password. Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this video tutorial.
Get Mardi Gras ready:
- Honeysuckle Magazine
To get started reading free eMagazines, download the Libby app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Discover these living LGBTQ+ eAudiobooks:
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Getting Lucky by Lee Mackenzi
- Growing up Queer in Australia by Benjamen Law
- The Other Mother: A Wickedly Honest Parenting Tale for Every Kind of Family by Jen Brister
- The Trauma Cleaner: One Woman’s Extraordinary Life in Death, Decay and Disaster by Sarah Krasnostein
- Gentleman Jack: The Real Anne Lister by Sally Wainwright
Enjoy these frocked up DVDs:
Setup a Mardi Gras playlist:
- How do you sleep when you lie to me by Sam Smith
- One kiss by Calvin Harris and Dua Lipa
- Chameleon by Pnau
- Love me less by Kim Petras
- Don’t stop by Kesha
Get unlimited music streaming and download five tracks per week with Freegal. Sign in with your library member number and password.
Live, love and be you with these podcasts:
- The Hook Up Podcast: Mardi Gras Special – how to be a good ally to someone in your life whose part of the LGBTQ+ community.
- Mardi Gras in New Orleans – if Mardi Gras is on your bucket list but you are just not sure what it will like.
- Pride Pod – the first Sydney Mardi Gras in 1978 and much more.
Search for these free podcast titles and more in your preferred podcast provider.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.