The benefits to populating your home or office with indoor plants.
Houseplants are making a massive comeback of late – how is the indoor green at your place? Apart from adding beautiful colour to a room, there are a multitude of added benefits to populating your home or office with indoor plants.
Did you know that by having your very own houseplant jungle you greatly improve the room’s air quality? The presence of plants in an indoor space promotes healing by leading to lower blood pressure, less anxiety an improved mental health.
Humans are always calmer when immersed in nature (think camping, bushwalks or gardening) and houseplants can assist in simulating this. Being calm improves concentration, memory and productivity, meaning indoor plants are ideal in the workplace or home office! Caring for a plant raises your empathy levels, making you more compassionate and improving your relationships.
Important things to consider:
- Suitability; not all plants like indoor life so choose wisely.
- Location; consider cold drafts, proximity to heat – windows/fires.
- Light conditions; what are the plants light requirements?
- Watering needs; how much is just right and how often?
- Feeding needs; when to use fertiliser, what type and how much?
- Cleaning and care; don’t forget to remove dust and give time outside.
It doesn’t matter if you love your cacti and succulents, drool over ferns and orchids or just want a terrarium or water plants – indoor plants are for everyone! If you are ready transform your home into an indoor houseplant jungle or enhance what you already have – dig in the resources compiled below.
First time downloading from our eLibrary? Join online. Enter your details for membership to find thousands of online material.
Sunshine Coast Libraries like these houseplant eBooks:
- My tiny indoor garden: houseplant heroes & terrific terrariums in small spaces by Lia Leendertz
- What’s wrong with my houseplant: save your indoor plants with 100% organic solutions by David Deardorff
- How to houseplant: a beginner’s guide to making & keeping plant friends by Heather Rodino
- The complete houseplant survival manual: essential garden knowledge by Barbara Pleasant
- The indestructible houseplant: 200 beautiful plants that everyone can grow by Tovah Martin
- The new plant parent: develop your green thumb & care for your houseplant family by Darryl Cheng
Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers, RBDigital and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password. Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this online tutorial.
Go green watching these plants inspired documentaries from Kanopy:
- Back to Eden: the transformative power of Plants: Sir Tim Smi
- Sahara’s secret garden
- Wild Gardens Series
- Numen: the healing power of plants
First time customer - select "Add Library Card" and enter your member number and password. Create a Kanopy account, then verify your email address.
Repeat customers - login to Kanopy using your email and Kanopy password.
Flick through these eMagazines to find great articles on houseplants:
- Gardening Australia
- Better Homes & Gardens
- Australian Home Beautiful
- Australian House & Garden
To get started using free eMagazines download the RBDigital app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Reserve these titles and collect from your local library:
- Plant tribe: living happily ever after with plants by Igor Josifovic
- Grow in the dark: how to choose and care for low-light houseplants by Lisa Eldred Steinkopf
- The Leaf Supply guide to creating your indoor jungle by Lauren Camilleri
- Happy cactus: choose it, love it, let it thrive by John Pilbeam
- Root, nuture, grow: the essential guide to propagating and sharing houseplants by Caro Langton
- How not to kill your houseplant; survival tips for the horticulturally challenged by Veronic Peerless
- Moss ball bonsai: 100 beautiful kodedama that are fun to create by Satoshi Sunamori
View the helpguide for reserving items. Libraries will alert you when an item is ready for collection.
Watch these great short videos for houseplant care and knowledge:
- Costa makes a house call – Gardening Australia
- Indoor plant care – Gardening Australia
- 7 easy steps to find your perfect indoor plants with Rachel Aust
- Best low light, no fuss houseplants with Planterina
- Houseplants you can’t kill – Better Homes & Gardens
Listen on the go with these houseplant podcasts:
- On The Ledge: all about indoor gardening helping you to grow everything from Aloe vera to the ZZ plant. Hosted by Jane Perrone.
- Home of Houseplants: Jo Howski, an avid collector of weird and wonderful indoor plants, in particular aroids. Jo interviews all manner of guests that have some nexus to indoor plants, across Australia.
- Plant Daddy Podcast: Matthew and Stephen have been podcasting about their passion for cultivating plants. They chat with gardening, botany and horticulture experts, amateur potted plant hobbyists, professionals in the houseplant industry, and some of our unsuspecting friends.
All podcasts are free and available to listen on:
Android - Google Play, Procast, Downcast, Pocket Casts, Player FM and AntennaPod.
iOS - Apple Podcasts app, RadioPublic, Pocket Casts, Castbox, Podbean and Stitcher.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.