Never air-guitar again!
Join Sunshine Coast local Pete Townson on Saturday 20 June, 10am on Facebook to learn some step-by-step basics to start play the songs you love.
Pete, the owner of Eleven PM Production Studios in Nambour, comes from a third generation Sunshine Coast family. He is an experienced performer, session and touring musician, band manager, music teacher, studio and venue manager and a former Sunshine Coast Libraries staff member!
Everyone knows the all-time great opening riff from Smoke on the Water. It was this (and many other riffs) that made you purchase that guitar. You know, the guitar now doubling as a clothes hanger? Here’s a chance to redeem your dream and start a strum at home. #guitarface
Top ten inspirational riffs to start
- Back in Black – AC/DC
- Johnny B Goode – Chuck Berry
- Brainstorm – Arctic Monkeys
- Paranoid – Black Sabbath
- Song 2 - Blur
- Alive – Pearl Jam
- Smoke on the Water – Deep Purple
- Voodoo Child – Jimi Hendrix
- Smells like Teen Spirit – Nirvana
- No One Knows – Queens of the Stone Age
Get unlimited music streaming and download five tracks per week with Freegal. Download from the Sony catalogue and thousands of smaller labels. Sign in with your library member number and password.
To get the full guitar experience head to the eLibrary to reserve these musician biographies items on eBook or eAudiobook.
First time downloading from our eLibrary? Join online. Just enter your details for membership to access thousands of online resources.
Need help accessing the eLibrary? Contact libraries to get immediate and expert help with accessing and using the eLibrary on your device. eLibrary Helpdesk staff will help connect you to your favourite authors, the music you love, great movies to entertain the whole family and a great range of magazines. The eLibrary Helpdesk operates between 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
Libraries love these rock biography eBooks:
- High Voltage: the life of Angus Young by Jeff Apter
- Living like a Runaway: a memoir by Lita Ford
- Robert Plant: a life: the biography by Paul Rees
- Eric Clapton: the autobiography by Eric Clapton
- The Truth is: my life in love and music by Melissa Etheridge
- The Ballad of Bob Dylan: a portrait by Daniel Mark Epstein
- Boss: Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band by Gillian G. Gaar
- Kiss and Make-up by Gene Simmons
- Life by Keith Richards
- Light and shade: conversations with Jimmy Page by Brad Tolinski
- Light my fire: my life with the Doors by Ray Manzarek
- Reckless by Chrissie Hynde
- Rocks: my life in and out of Aerosmith by Joe Perry
- Slash: the autobiography by Slash
- Strange beautiful music: a musical memoir by Joe Satriani
- This a call: the life and times of Dave Grohl by Paul Brannigan
Libraries love these learn to play guitar eBooks:
- Teach yourself to play guitar chords: a quick and easy introduction for beginners by David M. Brewster
- Chords for Guitar: learn guitar chords the easy way by Pauric Mather
- First 50 songs you should play on acoustic guitar by Hal Leonard Corp.
- Guitar lessons for kids, book 1: how to play guitar for kids by Gary Turner
- Teach yourself to play guitar: a quick and easy introduction for beginners by David M. Brewster
- Teach yourself to play guitar scales: a quick and easy introduction for beginners by David M. Brewster
Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started, download the ePlatform by Wheelers, RBDigital and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Libraries love these music biography eAudiobooks:
- Life by Keith Richards
- Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis
- Detours by Tim Rogers
- Bon: the last highway: the untold story of Bon Scott and AC/DC’s Back in Black by Jesse Fink
- Rock Chicks by Alison Stieven-Taylor
- AC/DC: maximum rock and roll by Murray Engleheart
Borrow up to 30 eAudiobooks on your device. To get started, download the ePlatform, RBDigital and Libby apps, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Libraries love these music eMagazines:
- Rolling Stone
- Guitar Techniques
- Australian Hi-Fi
- Guitar Player
To get started using free eMagazines download the RBDigital app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Listen on the go with these guitar podcasts:
- Play Guitar: beginner, intermediate, advanced lessons, sessions, tips and trick with Lee Anderson.
- Steve Stine Guitar: join Steve every Monday and Thursday for guitar lessons on music theory, creating solos from scratch and more.
- Guitar Music Theory: free audio guitar lessons that teach music theory. Learn scales, chords, progressions, modes and knowing your way around the fretboard.
- Learning Guitar Now: focusing on blues and slide guitar lessons in the style of BB King, Eric Clapton and Duane Allman.
- Everyone Loves Guitars: behind the scenes interviews with professional guitar players.
- Vintage Vault – Alice Cooper releases cool classic interviews with rock solid musicians like Ozzy Osbourne, Gene Simmons, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, Slash, Joe Perry, Billy F. Gibbons and Brian May.
Stream guitar sessions on Kanopy:
- Playing Fingerstyle Guitar Learn about the three legends of ‘fingerstyle’ guitar. Practice the basics of right-hand fingerstyle. Study the nation of open strings.
- Eric Clapton: life in 12 bars Check this biography of a guitar legend.
- Learning to Play Guitar Chords, scales and solos. A comprehensive 24 episodes featuring lessons and tips from experts.
- Beginner’s guide to pro guitar Ideal starter pack for the complete beginner taught by Guitar Magazine writer Max Milligan. Covers tuning, finger exercises, chords and scales, common chord changes, rhythm patterns, positioning and more.
Set up a Kanopy account to access more films for free. First time customer: select "Add Library Card" and enter your member number and password. Create a Kanopy account, then verify your email address. Repeat customers: login to Kanopy using your email and Kanopy password.
Stream music docos on Beamafilm
- Liam Gallagher: as it was The electrifying rock ‘n’ roll story of Oasis.
- Mystify: Michael Hutchence An intimate portrait of INXS’s frontman.
- Midnight Oil 1984 Go on the road with the Oils touring their iconic album Red Sails in the Sunset.
- The Go-Betweens Right Here This Brisbane-born band became a force to be reckoned with in the late seventies and eighties.
- Nick Cave 20000 Days on Earth Drama and reality combine in a fictitious 24 hours in the life of musician Nick Cave.
- Paul Kelly Stories of Me Charts the remarkable life of this Australian songwriter.
- Janis Little Girl Blue An eye-opening look at the woman behind that voice, Janis Joplin.
- Searching for Sugar Man Rodriguez the powerful, unforgettable music mystery.
For more free documentaries and movies with a focus on Australian stories and quality international content head to Beamafilm. First time customers, enter your library member number and create a Beamafilm account. Repeat customers, sign in with your email and your Beamafilm password.
Download free learn to play guitar apps:
- Guitar Beginner Lessons Learn the basic chords, how to tune and strumming progressions.
- Ultimate Guitar Chords and tabs: world’s largest catalogue of guitar, bass and ukulele chords, tabs and lyrics to learn your favourite songs.
- Real Guitar A guitar simulator, supports multi-touch for playing chords.
- ChordBank Learn and look up thousands of guitar chords.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.