Do you find yourself saying "there isn’t enough time in the day"? This phrase is all too common in today’s world. Emails, social media and the many other little to-dos that come up can make staying on task harder to accomplish than your actual work. It is no surprise then that so many people are looking to improve their focus, time management and general productivity.
Improving productivity is not about finding more hours in your day. It is about doing more and working more efficiently in the time you do have. Doing this requires building new habits to become more focused and efficient. By improving productivity you can reduce the stress of doubt, guilt and feeling overwhelmed by your jobs.
Here are ten top tips to improve your productivity:
- Take regular breaks – short breaks boost concentration, creativity and memory
- Eat that frog – tackle your most important or daunting task first. Learn about this time management technique based on a Mark Twain quote
- Learn to single-task – boost productivity by focusing on one task at a time
- Follow the 'two-minute rule' – if a task that can be done in two minutes, do it now as it will take longer to review and finish later
- Plan each day the night before – write a simple to-do list before going to bed
- Take advantage of your commute – use this time to learn something new, read a book or listen to a great podcast
- Get organised – keep your space clear
- Eliminate digital distractions – set a limit on the amount of time you spend on your phone or browsing the internet
- Make a not-to-do list of activities you are planning to stop doing to become more productive
- Get enough sleep – seven to nine hours sleep each night is recommended for physical and mental well-being
Libraries love these eBooks:
- Keep Your Brain Alive: 83 Neurobic Exercises to Help Prevent Memory Loss and Increase Mental Fitness by Lawrence Katz 2018
- A Teen’s guide to Getting Stuff Done: Discover Your Procrastination Type, Stop Putting Things Off, and Reach Your Goals by Jennifer Shannon
- Stress Less, Accomplish More : Meditation for Busy Minds by Emily Fletcher
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey
- The 4-Hour Work Week: Escape the 9-5, Live Anywhere and Join the New Rich by Timothy Ferriss
To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Listen on the go with these eAudiobooks:
- Eat that Frog! 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time by Brian Tracy
- The Power of a Half Hour by Tommy Barnett
- I know how she does it : how successful women make the most of their time by Laura Vanderkam
- Atomic Habits by James Clear
- The 5AM Club : Own Your Morning. Elevate Your Life by Robin Sharma
To get started, download the BorrowBox, Libby, and RBDigital apps, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Want to improve your focus and time management? Try these online courses with Lynda.com:
- Productivity playlist
- Productivity: Prioritising at Work
- Productivity Tips: Finding Your Productive Mindset
- Productive Meditation
Lynda.com is an online learning platform for students, general community and business to learn or upskill in software, creative and business skills.
Set up a soundtrack with these motivational songs:
- Eye of the Tiger by Survivor
- Any Way you want it by Journey
- The Final Countdown by Europe
- It’s a Long Way to the Top by AC/DC
- More than a feeling by Boston
- Don’t Stop ‘til You Get Enough by Michael Jackson
- Uptown Funk by Mark Ronson
- Run the World (Girls) by Beyoncé
- Feel it Still by Portugal
- You get what you give by New Radicals
Get unlimited music streaming and download five tracks per week with Freegal. Download from the Sony catalogue and thousands of smaller labels. Sign in with your library member number and password.
Get inspired with these podcasts:
On the web
Check out Time magazine articles on productivity:
Love the program? Complete the online survey.