Succulents! Is there a more low-maintenance plant? Not only pretty to look at, but super hardy in most climates and cheap as chips to set up.
So, what are succulents? Derived from the Latin word sucus, meaning sap or juice, they are a group of plants that store water in their thick leaves. The camel of the plant world.
They are totally drought resistant and happy in hot, dry climates. You can also ignore them for ages which makes them the perfect partner. Or pet for busy folk. (source)
The top five succulent tips for planting are climate, soil, water, planting and propagation.
Go sunny, free-draining potting mix with minimal watering. They love any kind of pot – with room to grow – and propagating them is the easiest thing. Snap a stem off an existing succulent, then plant in the soil. Simple!
Out of gift giving ideas? Give a pre-potted succulent. Need more green in the home? Create a succulent vertical wall. The best kind of low risk, high return hobby to enjoy.
10 types of succulents to love:
- Burro’s tail
- Aloe Vera
- Foxtail agave
- Blue chalk sticks
- Jade plant
- Snake plant
- Zebra plant
- String of pearls
Library members have loaned succulent planting items 3,002 times! Whether you are just starting out or completely obsessed, tap these latest titles for potting inspiration.
Save time with these succulent planting eBooks anywhere, anytime:
- Wild at home: how to style and care for beautiful plants by Hilton Carter
- My tiny indoor garden: houseplant heroes and terrific terrariums in small spaces by Lia Leendertz
- Modern terrarium studio: design and build custom landscapes with succulents, air plants and more by Megan George
Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password. Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this video tutorial.
Triple threat! Save money, time and travel with these gardening eMagazines:
- Wellbeing Organic Garden Project Book
- Gardening Australia
- Modern Gardens
- Gardening the Easy Way
- Amateur Gardening
To get started reading free eMagazines, download the Libby app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
On the web
- 50 best succulent garden ideas for 2020 | Homebnc
- 47 succulent planting ideas with tutorials | Balcony Garden Web
- 11 clever succulent planting ideas – No pots required | My Poppet
- 15 unique and creative succulent planter ideas | Garden Lovers Club
Love the program? Complete the online survey.