Homemade cleaners that actually work
Whether you are on a budget, looking to cut down on household chemicals or simply feeling crafty, there are a number of reasons to get stuck into creating your own cleaning products.
The library has filtered through a plethora of options and come up with our favourites to help you DIY some simple and effective low-tox cleaners.
Top low-tox home-made cleaning recipes:
- Make at home cleaners
- Clean furniture and fight odors without chemical cleaners
- Chemical free products
- Natural cleaning products
- DIY cleaning products
- DIY hand sanitiser
First time downloading from our eLibrary? Join online. Just enter your details for membership to access thousands of online resources.
Need help accessing the eLibrary? Contact libraries to get immediate and expert help with accessing and using the eLibrary on your device. eLibrary Helpdesk staff will help connect you to your favourite authors, the music you love, great movies to entertain the whole family and a great range of magazines. The eLibrary Helpdesk operates between 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
Read these green living eBooks:
- Smart living handbook: creating a healthy home in an increasingly toxic world by Melissa Wittig
- Fresh clean home: make your own natural cleaning products by Wendy Graham
- The organically clean home: 150 everyday organic cleaning products you can make yourself – the natural, chemical-free way by Becky Rapinchuk
- The natural home by Wendyl Nissen
- Fresh clean home: Make your own natural cleaning products by Wendy Graham
Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started, download the ePlatform by Wheelers, RBDigital and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Check out some green living eMagazines:
- Peppermint Green fashion mag, showcasing the best eco Australian designers and more.
- Good Housekeeping Source tips and tricks for saving time, money and hassle.
- Mother Earth News Practical and money-saving ideas for greener living.
To get started using free eMagazines download the RBDigital app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Grin your way through a green clean with a soundtrack! Stream playlists for free on Freegal. Unlimited music streaming and download five (5) tracks per week. Download from the Sony catalogue and thousands of smaller labels. Sign in with your member number and password. Just log in with your library card number and password.
- Walking on Sunshine by Katrina and the Waves
- Toxic by Britney Spears
- Don’t Stop Me Now by Queen
- Tub Thumping by Chumbawamba
- Hey Ya by Outcast
- Single Ladies by Beyonce
- Jump Around by House of Pain
- Golddigger by Kanye West
- September by Earth, Wind and Fire
- You Got the Love by Florence and the Machine
Stream free movies on Kanopy and get the inside tip on which chemicals are being used in day-to-day products.
Sustainable products for the home
Discover how you can live a greener lifestyle. Learn how to make safe and effective cleaning products at home. Create a cool ecological footprint through the consumer choices you make.
Unacceptable levels: How chemicals affect us
Did you know that we are exposed up to 200 synthetic industrial chemicals every day? Take deep dive into how the chemical revolution and the modern day burden on our bodies.
Homesick: living with multiple chemical sensitivities
Common products like paint, carpeting, new building materials and insecticides could be your worst enemies. Join Susan as she hits the road to meet people from all walks of life dealing with multiple chemical sensitivities overload.
Set up a Kanopy account to access more films for free. First time customer: select "Add Library Card" and enter your member number and password. Create a Kanopy account, then verify your email address. Repeat customers: login to Kanopy using your email and Kanopy password.
Reserve these physical items with your library member card and collect from your local library.
- Clean home, green home: the complete illustrated guide to eco-friendly homekeeping by Kimberly Delaney
- Clean my space: the secret to cleaning better, faster – and loving your home everyday by Melissa Maker
- Green clean: natural cleaning solutions for every room of your home by Jill Potvin Schoff
- Hinch yourself happy: all the best cleaning tips to shine your sink and soothe your soul by Sophie Hinchliffe
- Household hints: amazing uses for salt, lemon, vinegar, and baking soda by Heather Rodino
- How to clean just about anything for next to nothing by Cynthia and Alisa Mayne
Love the program? Complete the online survey.