How to head into the abyss that is your ‘stuff’
We all have that one cupboard packed with what we call ‘get to later projects’. Maybe it’s full of unwanted gifts or the spoils of retail therapy. Marie Kondo, the Japanese tidying expert, inspired millions around the world with her fun approach to transforming our spaces.
Kondo encourages tidying by category, starting with clothes then moving onto other sections. Just like eating a cake slice by slice. Motivated by her famous motto of ‘keeping the things that bring you joy’, it’s easy to follow Marie’s six basic rules of tidying.
- Commit yourself to tidying up - no half attempts.
- Imagine your ideal lifestyle – where you can see the entire dining room table.
- Finish discarding first – easy once you get going.
- Tidy by category, not by location – remember slice by slice, not the whole cake.
- Follow the right order – complete each step.
- Ask yourself if it sparks joy – keep the things that make you happy.
Sunshine Coast Libraries members borrowed Marie’s number one bestselling book, The life-changing magic of tidying up, 331 times. Also on top of your interest list was minimalism, the art of frugal living and embracing a slower lifestyle. You can access Marie’s book and many other recommended titles online.
First time downloading from our eLibrary? Join online. Just enter your details for membership to access thousands of online materials.
Tidying up eAudiobooks
Libraries love these tidying up eAudiobooks.
- Digital minimalism – Cal Newport
- The life changing magic of tidying up – Marie Kondo
- The minimalist home – Joshua Becker
Borrow up to 30 eAudiobooks on your device. To get started, download the: BorrowBox, RBDigital and Libby apps, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Tidying up eBooks
Libraries love these tidying up Books.
- Unstuffed, decluttering your home, mind, soul by Ruth Soukup
- Decluttering at the speed of life by Dana K White
- Sorted! The ultimate guide to organising your life by Lissane Oliver
- Spark Joy: an illustrated guide to the Japanese art of tidying by Marie Kondo
- All You Need is Less by Vicki Vrint
Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers, RBDigital and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and passwords.
More eBooks to download from Overdrive:
- Lose the clutter, lose the weight by Peter Walsh
- Right size, right now by Regina Leeds
- Love the home you have by Melissa Michaels
Take these simple eBook steps to access more stories.
Listen on the go with these inspirational podcasts.
- The Minimalists with Joshua Fields and Ryan Nicodemus
- Spark Joy with Kristyn Ivey and Karin Socci
- The Pineapple Project with Jan Fran
- The Art of Simple with Tsh Oxenrider
- The Slow Home Podcast hosted by Brooke McAlary
All podcasts are free and available to listen on Android - Google Play, Procast, Downcast, Pocket Casts, Player FM and AntennaPod, iOS - Apple Podcasts app, RadioPublic, Pocket Casts, Castbox, Podbean and Stitcher. You can also stream podcast from Spotify.
Libraries love watching Minimalism – a documentary about the important things from Kanopy.
To set up a Kanopy account to access more films for free: First time customer - select "Add Library Card" and enter your member number and password. Create a Kanopy account, then verify your email address. Repeat customers - login to Kanopy using your email and Kanopy password.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.