The BBQ – it is practically an Australian institution, a rite of passage for all visitors to our shores and a part of everyday family life. Practised since time immemorial by our First Nations people and now deeply ingrained in our leisure time, the activity even has a pet name - 'barbie'.
It does not matter if your BBQ is an old recycled plow blade on legs, a flat plate sitting on a stack of bricks, a compact Weber or part of a built in full deluxe outdoor kitchen. As long as you can cook outdoors you can be involved – the Aussie lifestyle and gorgeous climate demand it!
Public BBQ facilities abound on the Sunshine Coast or you can always take your own mobile kit to cook at one of our scenic locations. Be it by the beach at Mooloolaba or a creek in the hinterland. The BBQ is not only for carnivores, there are plenty of delicious vegetarian options to keep everyone happy.
Ready to cook up a storm?
- Stay safe with these great tips on BBQ safety from the Queensland Government.
- Surprise your guests with a more unique BBQ dish from SBS Food recipe collections.
- Build your own brick BBQ for the backyard this Australian Outdoor Living article on how to create the ultimate BBQ area.
- Try these recipes from Delicious magazine: 50 sides and dips to accompany your BBQ feast.
- Search Sunshine Coast Council’s Beaches and Parks directory for you next BBQ outing location.
If you want even more inspiration to pull together your next BBQ feast, check out the resources the library has pulled together.
Get cooking with these eBooks:
- Weekend BBQ by Ross Dobson
- The Flavor of Wood: In Search of the Wild Taste of Trees from Smoke and Sap to Root and Bark by Cisar-Erlach, Artur
- South American grill: feasts from Brazil to Patagonia by Rachael Lane
Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers, RBDigital and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password. Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this video tutorial.
Stream these BBQ inspired documentaries from Kanopy:
- The Everyday Gourmet: How to Master Outdoor Cooking Series
- Grilling and Broiling-Dry-Heat Cooking without Fat
- Mediterranean-Style Grilling
First time customer: select "Add Library Card" and enter your member number and password. Create a Kanopy account, then verify your email address.
Reserve these physical items and collect from your local library:
- Ultimate Aussie BBQ soundtrack – music CD
- The BBQ – starring Magda Szubanski, Shane Jacobsen – DVD
- The BBQ cookbook by Revolution Partners Pty Ltd.
- Ribs: with low & slow BBQ guide by Adam D. Roberts
- Bbq, beer & b.s : food to bowl you over by Merv Hughes
- Grill, smoke BBQ by Ben Tish
- Red hot & smokin'!: BBQ, burgers, bird : basic fundamentals and guilty pleasures by Graeme Stockdale
- Great vegan BBQ without a grill : amazing plant-based ribs, burgers, steaks, kabobs and more smokey favorites by Linda Meyer
- The Big Marn's barbeque cookbook by Darryl Brohman
- Grilled : delicious, easy to prepare recipes to grill or barbecue – Australian women’s weekly
- Weber’s greatest hits by Jamie Purviance
- The secrets to great charcoal grilling on the Weber by Bill Gillespie
Enrol in BBQ Bootcamp with some help from BCF and learn how to master the campfire grill.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.