Check-in on your mates
Hey mate, are you good? It takes a few seconds to say and could save someone years of internal pain. If you, a friend, or a family member is feeling blue, make sure that you reach out.
October is Mental Health Month and it is more important than ever to check-in on your mental health and wellbeing.
These organisations can help if you are in need of immediate assistance:
- Mental Health Foundation Australia
- Lifeline call 13 1114 for crisis support
- R U OK? have a conversation that could change a life
- Health Direct access a range of mental health helplines
- Beyond Blue phone 1300 22 4636 for support, advice and action
Did you know that library members have loaned mental health and wellness items 36,280 times? From real life biographies to how-to handbooks, here are some top pick titles to help you, a friend or loved one.
Real life mental wellness journeys:
- Battling the blues by Darius Boyd with Michael Crutcher
- First, we make the beast beautiful: a new story about anxiety by Sarah Wilson
- My year of living mindfully: a self-experiment becomes a life-changing experience by Shannon Harvey
- Show me where it hurts: living with invisible illness by Kylie Maslen
- Glide: taking the panic out of modern living by Lisa Forres
Learn about mental health awareness by reading these titles:
- Mindshift to a better place by Elizabeth Venzin
- Hope and help for your nerves: end anxiety now by Dr Claire Weekes
- Live more think less: overcoming depression and sadness by Dr Pia Callesen
- The invisible load: a guide to overcoming stress and overwhelm by Libby Weaver
- Mental health and wellbeing in the workplace: a practical guide for employers and employees by Gill Hasson and Donna Butler
Download mental health and wellbeing non-fiction eBooks anywhere, anytime:
- Anxiety: expert advice from a neurotic shrink who’s lived with anxiety all his life by Dr Mark Cross
- Lost connections: uncovering the real causes of depression and the unexpected solutions by Johann Hari
- Crying into the saucepan by Nikki Hayes
Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers, RBDigital and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and passwords. Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this video tutorial.
Learn about mental health support on the go with these eAudiobooks:
- Mental: everything you never knew you needed to know about mental health by Catherine Deveny
- The application of pressure by Rachael Mead
- Fragile by Stella O’Malley
To get started, download the BorrowBox, Libby, and RBDigital apps, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password. Need help setting up your device for eAudiobooks? Watch this video tutorial.
Stream mental health documentaries with Kanopy:
- Mad Dance: a mental health film trilogy
- About Face: a journey of healing and redemption
- Hidden Pictures: the underexposed world of global mental health
Love the program? Complete the online survey