Indulge in some you time and get your meditation mojo on!
Maybe you think meditation is too difficult or confusing to give it a go? Maybe you tried it before and feel like you failed? Well the long list of health benefits and the surreal times we are all living in right now might just change your mind.
Meditation benefits include improving sleep, reducing stress, helping to control pain, lowers blood pressure, improves digestion, reduces anxiety, decreases depression and lowers the inflammatory response. We all need our very best health right now.
Apart from assisting your body physically, meditation can elevate your cerebral performance by improving your attention span and focus, help with creativity, raising your compassion levels, assisting with gaining mastery over addictions, improving your memory and helping with decision making. What is not to like?
The best part? Its free, can be done anywhere, squeezed into any spare moment in the day and doesn’t require any fancy equipment or outfits! That’s right folks, yoga pants are not essential nor are any fancy padded cushions, incense sticks or candles. Just you and your mind…..
Author Leo Babauta sums up how to meditate if you are beginner.
So go on …. Indulge in some you time and get your meditation mojo on!
First time downloading from our eLibrary? Join online. Just enter your details for membership to access thousands of online resources.
Need help accessing the eLibrary? Contact libraries to get immediate and expert help with accessing and using the eLibrary on your device. eLibrary Helpdesk staff will help connect you to your favourite authors, the music you love, great movies to entertain the whole family and a great range of magazines. The eLibrary Helpdesk operates between 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
Read these meditation eBooks:
- Stress less, accomplish more: mediation for busy minds by Emily Fletcher
- Happy for no good reason: a meditator’s guide by Swami Shankarananda
- The myth of freedom and the way of meditation by Chogyam Trungpa
Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started, download the ePlatform by Wheelers, RBDigital and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Listen to these meditation eAudiobooks:
- Guided meditations: Grace & Courage by Stephanie Dowrick
- The map of the soul: guided meditation: discovering your true purpose by Tricia Brennan
- Hurry up and meditate – guided meditations: your starter kit for inner peace and better health by David Michie
- Meditations to change your brain by Rick Hanson
- The art of meditation by Matthieu Ricard
- Creative visualization meditations by Shakti Gawain
Borrow up to 30 eAudiobooks on your device. To get started, download the ePlatform, RBDigital and Libby apps, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Browse these fantastic health eMagazines titles for inspiring meditation articles.
- Spirituality & Health
- Australian Natural Health
- Australian Yoga Journal
To get started using free eMagazines download the RBDigital app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Looking for some guidance? Download one of these meditation apps.
Headspace No matter how how long or hard we train, we can only perform at our best when the body and mind are in sync. Headspace helps you do just that with sport and fitness meditations, mindful eating exercises, and more.
Calm The perfect mindfulness app for beginners, but also includes hundreds of programs for intermediate and advanced users. Guided meditation sessions are available in various lengths so you can choose the perfect length to fit with your schedule.
Smiling Mind: A 100% not-for-profit organisation that works to make mindfulness meditation accessible to all. The app has simple 10-minute daily meditations, which are broken into categories by age.
Simple Habit: Features five-minute meditations from top mindfulness experts at Google to former monks, so there's a little bit of something for everyone. Not only can you get classic guided meditations, but you can also find coaching, motivational guides and bedtime stories.
Get in the mood to meditate with these documentaries on Kanopy:
- A moveable meditation Tai chi is both moving meditation and movable meditation-you can perform the form anywhere, and you carry the mental aspects with you in every situation.
- Practicing mindfulness: an introduction to meditation course: In recent decades, science has confirmed that meditation, when correctly practiced, offers lasting benefits for your physical, mental, and emotional health. Gain a clear understanding of the essence of meditation-and how best to practice it-in 24 lessons filled with guided exercises, principles and techniques, and more.
- Dalai Lama- meditation with The Dalai Lama: In this excellent introduction to meditation His Holiness talks about how mental happiness is more enduring than physical and that to obtain mental happiness we must train or transform our mind by meditation. There are two main types; analytical and single pointed and His holiness gives a clear explanation on each type and their practical application in our daily lives.
Set up a Kanopy account to access more films for free. First time customer: select "Add Library Card" and enter your member number and password. Create a Kanopy account, then verify your email address. Repeat customers: login to Kanopy using your email and Kanopy password.
Reserve these physical items with your library member card and collect from your local library.
- And breathe...: daily meditations and mantras for greater calm, balance, and joy by Sarah Rudell Beach
- The art of mindful relaxation : the heart of yoga nidra by Eddie Shapiro
- The art of mindful walking: mediations on the path by Adam Ford
- Aware : the sciene and practice of presence : a complete guide to the groundbreaking Wheel of Awareness meditation practice by Daniel J. Siegel
Love the program? Complete the online survey.