Everyone needs a place to retreat
The term 'man cave' was first bandied about by a journalist way back in 1992, although the concept has been around much longer. There is now even the female equivalent with the term 'she shed' (more on them in a later program). Whether your man cave is a purpose built space, converted garage, spare room or garden shed, there are endless ideas for how to spend your time in one.
Try these ideas to get you going:
- Dig out the dart board and host a family darts night – put on an awesome soundtrack to accompany the fun.
- Love cards? Invite a mate over for card night – take a refresher course on rules and instructions – set up your own casino atmosphere!
- Play some online chess against a remote person or computer.
- With the right equipment you could convert your old vinyl or CD collection to digital format so you can rock out anywhere, anytime.
- If you are lucky enough to have a pool table in your man cave, why not master some trick shots.
- Work on you bar skills and impress your mates with these man cave cocktails.
- Perfect a good joke with And now for some light relief, the genuinely funny joke book by Peter FitzSimons.
- Revive the lost art of slot car racing! These guys can help set you up Thunderbird slot racing.
- Why not try your hand at wood carving – start simple with a wooden spoon.
- Get your family and friends online and join a pub-style trivia night from the comfort of the man cave couch.
Whatever activity tickles your fancy there are so many ways to enjoy your space, be it through relaxation, learning, entertainment, competition, skills expansion or most importantly fun!
First time downloading from our eLibrary? Join online. Just enter your details for membership to access thousands of online resources.
Man cave reading with these great eBooks:
- The Men’s Health home workout bible: over 400 exercises no gym required by Lou Schuler
- Card games: games for all ages by Collins Little Books
- 42 days at the races: a punting adventure by Helen Thomas
- Chapelli speaks out by Ashley Mallett
- Game of Thrones – the ulitimate quiz book by Jack Goldstein
- Ultimate book of darts by Anne Kramer
- Pool and billiards for dummies by Nicholas Leider
- Slot car racing by Robert Grey Reynolds
Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started, download the ePlatform by Wheelers, RBDigital and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and passwords.
Man cave hobbies to try your hand at with these eMagazines:
- Australian Sky & Telescope
- FineScale Modeler
- Popular Photography
- Backyard & Garden Design Ideas
- Popular Mechanics
- PC World
- Hot Rod
- Guitar Techniques
To get started using free eMagazines download the RBDigital app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Need help accessing the eLibrary? Contact libraries to get immediate and expert help with accessing and using the eLibrary on your device. eLibrary Helpdesk staff will help connect you to your favourite authors, the music you love, great movies to entertain the whole family and a great range of magazines. The eLibrary Helpdesk operates between 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
It’s a man’s world: viewing for the Man Cave from Beamafilm:
- Boronia boys
- The Rats of Tobruk
- The Ground we won
- The legend of Ben Hall
- The Galahs
- Caveman calling
Set up a Beamafilm account to access more films/documentaries for free. Beamafilm’s library has documentaries and movies with a focus on Australian stories and quality international content. First time customers, enter your library member number and create a Beamafilm account. Repeat customers, sign in with your email and your Beamafilm password.
Podcasts and blogs
Listen or read these podcasts and blogs while chilling in your man cave:
All podcasts are free and available to listen on: Android - Google Play, Procast, Downcast, Pocket Casts, Player FM and AntennaPod. iOS - Apple Podcasts app, RadioPublic, Pocket Casts, Castbox, Podbean and Stitcher.
Check out these amazing decorating ideas to give your man cave the cool vibe you want without breaking the bank:
Love the program? Complete the online survey.