Having trouble sleeping? You are not alone. Busy lives combined with daily worries or concerns mean we may not be getting the best quality of sleep. Establishing a night-time routine is a great way of winding down after a long day. Adding self-care into your evening ritual is a great way to spoil yourself.
Avoid caffeine and devices too close to bedtime. There are many relaxing activities we can adopt to assist in creating a peaceful environment. Rethink strenuous exercise at night and instead try meditation, mindfulness or yoga. These are popular activities for getting our minds and bodies into a more relaxed state.
Try adding these activities to your bedtime routine:
- Yoga or foam rolling (myofascial release)
- Journaling – a great way to brain dump the day
- Taking a warm bath
- Lighting candles or infusing essential oils
- Brewing herbal tea
- Attempt a jigsaw or cross word puzzle
- Listen to a calming music playlist.
Library members have loaned sleep themed items 38,061 times! Find out how to add self-love to your bedtime routine with these relaxing titles.
Relax and unwind with these eMagazines:
- Yoga Journal
- H and F Improve Your Sleep in 14 days
- Prevention Magazine Australia
- Peppermint Magazine
- Woman and Home Feel Good You
- Frankie Magazine
Get started using free eMagazines online or download the Libby app. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Watch these DVD’s for great yoga and meditation tips:
- The Yoga of Awakening: Mystic flow
- Element: Daily yoga
- Meditation: The key to peace of mind
- Walk With Me: A journey into mindfulness featuring Thich Nhat Hanh
- Yoga for Sleeping Disorders.
Listen anywhere with these self-care podcasts:
- Sleep Talk Podcast | SleepHub
- The Mindful Kind Podcast | Rachael Kable
- Mindful Monday Podcast | M@W
- Crappy to Happy Podcast | Cass Dunn
- Feel Good Podcast with Kimberly Snyder (SoundCloud).
Search for these free podcast titles from your preferred podcast provider.
On the web
Enjoy more bedtime routine tips:
- Can a bedtime routine help you get better sleep? | The Good Trade
- 10 tips for a good night’s sleep | Sleep Health Foundation
- Bedtime routines for adults | Sleep Foundation
- Mindfulness exercises to help you sleep | No Sleepless Nights
- What to do when you can’t sleep | The Sleepdoctor by Dr Michael J. Breus, PHD.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.