Did you know Australians waste around 7.3 million tonnes of food each year? That is enough to fill over 9,000 Olympic sized swimming pools. Join Kim McCosker from 4 Ingredients, Martin Duncan (Sunshine Coast Foodie) and Roz White (White’s IGA Group) to find out how you can reduce food waste with delicious recipes and leftover meal hacks.
Kim and Roz show us how to turn our left-over cold meats into delicious kebabs to ensure no food is wasted this Christmas. Dressed with a gorgeous honey and seedy mustard and cook on a hotplate, your kids will demolish these kebabs in minutes.
Cheese is too fabulous to waste so watch how Kim and Roz create a platter that uses beautiful local cheeses paired with locally produced crackers and seasonal fruits.
Bundle those leftover roasted veggies into a frittata by adding some eggs and cream. Use up all those leftover herbs and add a couple of tasty items such as capers or anchovies, olive oil and lemon juice to make a sparkling salsa verde to add zing to your frittata. Top tip: put your salad dressing in a jar not on the salad so the salad can be saved for another day.
Some great food-safety tips from Martin and we can all enjoy our leftover ham, prawns, veggies and fruit as Martin and Kim turn leftovers into pizza in this episode of Love your Leftovers.
Martin shows us how thick slices of Christmas cake can be gently fried in butter till the fruits caramelise and crisp, served with ice-cream for dessert. While Kim walks us through turning cake into mini Christmas puddings topped with melted white chocolate.
Want more? Discover how to make quick and easy meals from leftovers by downloading Living Smart’s free community recipe eBook. Get involved, save money and help make a difference in minimising food waste. Visit council’s Living Smart program.
Library members have borrowed food waste related items 4,183 times! Save time, money and food with these handy hacks.
Love your leftovers with these eBooks:
- Cooking with scraps: turn your peels, cores, rinds and stems into delicious meals by Lindsay-Jean Hard
- Too good to waste: how to eat everything by Victoria Glass
- Thermo cooker fresh favourites by Alyce Alexandra
Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password. Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this video tutorial.
Kick back and relax with these healthy food eMagazines:
To get started using free eMagazines download the RBDigital app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Stream these creative leftover sessions with Kanopy:
- Leftovers or planned overs? Learn how to label and store leftovers the way chefs do. Discover how to transform cooked vegetables into new dishes like smashed potato with bravas sauce or a hash with beets, taters, parsnips, carrots and onions.
- One fresh thing: Making great meals in less time. Learn how to cook with canned beans, pesto, leftover bread and more with what you have stashed in the kitchen.
Set up a Kanopy account to stream more films and documentaries for free.
Travel happy with top Oz comedy podcasts:
- Food is Wasted
- Selina Juul: Denmark’s food waste champion
- The Food Navigator: rethinking food waste
- The Slow Home Podcast: 50 ways to seriously reduce your food waste
Search for these free podcast titles and more in your preferred podcast provider.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.