Talent you did not know you had
Watercolour painting is a distinct style. Luminous and translucent, its beauty captures many an admirer. It is an exciting style to learn with its instant impression and quick drying process. All you need is a painting medium - usually paper, a brush, some paints and of course water.
As one of the oldest mediums in the artworld, watercolour has many famous works. One of the most famous is Young Hare, created by German painter Albrecht Dürer (1502) and housed in Albertina in Vienna. Famous watercolour artists include Australia's very own Albert Namatjira, David van Nunen and Margaret Olley.
As the spring light amplifies nature’s beauty, learn a new artistic skill with watercolour.
- Mix more paint than you think you need
- Do not over mix the paint
- Clean the threads of a paint tube before screwing the cap back on
- Use the largest brush suitable for the purpose; small brushes encourage timidity and fussiness
- Remember that watercolors lighten as they dry
Watercolour techniques to try
Draw inspiration from watercolour societies
- Australian Watercolour Institute: Australia’s oldest and most prestigious watercolour society with an annual calendar of events
- Open Studios Sunshine Coast: keen art goers can rub shoulders with the artists in their places of creation over two weekends in March 2021
Reserve these DVDs and collect from your local library:
- Vibrant Watercolours
- Watercolours Unleashed
- Simply Painting. Watercolour Paintbox
- Getting Started in Watercolor
Listen to art-based fiction through these eAudiobooks:
- The Last Painting of Sara de Vos by Dominic Smith
- Watercolours by Adrienne Ferreira
- The Girl in the Painting by Renita D’Silva
- Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier
- The Vivisector by Patrick White
- The Art Forger by B. A. Shapiro
You can borrow up to 30 eAudiobooks from each provider at a time for a period of three weeks. To get started, download the BorrowBox, Libby, and RBDigital apps, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password. Need help setting up your device for eAudiobooks? Watch this video tutorial.
Develop your artistic skills with these eMagazines:
- Watercolor Artist
- Australian How To Paint
- Creative Artist
- New Artist
- Artists & Illustrators
To get started using free eMagazines, download the RBDigital app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Stream these watercolour artist documentaries on Kanopy:
- Namatjira the Painter
- Margaret Olley: A Life in Paint
- Turner and Venice
- Vincent Van Gogh: A Life Devoted to Art
First time Kanopy customer? Select Add Library Card and enter your member number and password. Create a Kanopy account, then verify your email address.
Try these digital watercolour classes on Lynda.com:
- Painting in Watercolors
- Painting with Real Watercolor Brushes
- Drawing Foundations: Sketching the Landscape
- Using the Watercolor Brush
- Create a Watercolor Effect
Lynda.com is an online learning platform for students, general community and business. Learn or upskill your software, creative and business skills.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.